Chapter Eighteen

"Ow!" Lina winced and he quickly let go of her.

"Sorry did I hurt you?" Saizo blurted as he quickly reached for her wrist again, examining the damage.

It was a bit bruised but other than that, it's fine...

"I'm so sorry." Saizo apologised again as he quickly took out an ointment he has in his ninja pouch and kept applying and massaging the bruised part.

Lina was too shocked to react.

Firstly she was caught off guard when Saizo gripped her wrist like that. Secondly, she's never seen this side of Saizo. The flustered and apologizing Saizo. He has a huge pride and rarely apologises but seeing him apologising this way... Something doesn't sit well with Lina..

"Saizo.. It's fine." Lina told him gently as she tried pulling her wrist back but the silver haired man has a tight hold on it, still massaging the damaged area.

"I'm sorry-I'm sorry..." he kept repeating and Lina chewed her lower lip before quickly pulling her wrist and grabbing his face, so she can stare into his scarlet eyes.

"Saizo! Stop it! You didn't do it on purpose! I should be apologising! I should have understood more that maybe you need at least one weapon on you for safekeeping! Stop being like this! You're scaring me!"

Saizo's red eyes had fear in them and Lina has never seen anything like it in them... Till now..

"Saizo?" Lina tried again and Saizo blinked slowly at her before gritting his teeth.

"I'm so-"

"Stop."

That one word indeed made him stop.

"Now, are you ready to share with me why you reacted the way you did? If you're still uncomfortable in sharing then it's okay. I won't force you." Lina told him with a gentle smile.

Saizo clicked his tongue before opening his mouth..

"Fine. You deserve to know. You are my girl after all."

*~*

Lina's P.O.V.:

"This sword..." Saizo looked at the weapon in question before looking at me. "Is... Very important to me... I... Even I can't bring myself to touch it..."

I slowly digested his words before choosing my words carefully.

"Erm... And why is that so?"

It took Saizo a few seconds before answering me.

"I... It belongs to my... To my best friend."

I don't get where this is going. Did his best friend died or something?

"Erm... Okay... So I'm guessing something happened to your best friend for you to have the sword? If not how is your best friend going to fight without it?"

Saizo gave me a wry smile and caressed my cheek before dropping his hand.

"So innocent... You are just too pure for me little lady."

What? What is he going on about???

"I wonder whether I should tell you..."

"And why shouldn't you?"

"I have too much darkness in me... You might not be with me after I tell you my past... Is it wrong of me to be selfish and keep my tainted history a secret?"

I blinked a few times at him before feeling my eyes burnt with tears..

"I understand that you're a ninja. I understand that shinobi have their nindo way to follow. So what makes you think I would judge you? If you think I will do such a despicable thing like that then I don't think we should be together!"

Saizo's crimson eyes, the colour of dried blood, slowly widened at my confession.

"You... You... really mean it?" he whispered.

I nodded, clasping both his hands in mine.

"Please Saizo. All I ask is of you to trust me."

Saizo took a deep breath and began his story...