chapter 3

Harrys P.O.V.

I stepped inside the door of his small apartment. I looked up at my tall friend. His left forearm was littered with fresh tracks, and his right looked bugged, covered in sores and abscesses from dirty needles.. He looked surprised to see me. Dishevelled even.

“Sorry. I should have called,” I took a step back to the front door.

“Nah, don’t worry it’s fine,” He lowered his voice, “Just be cool.” He winked.

I shrugged my jacket off and hung up it up on the coat stand.

“Dude, you gotta get that checked out,” I pointed to his arm.

Brianas P.O.V

I walked into my so called new room. It was pretty, with creamy yellow walls and a window seat. My furniture had already been carried up and sat in the middle of the room. I blew out a breath, time to get to work, I thought.

I opened my first box and pulled out my record collection. I pulled out a box of screws and went to the wall and began hanging up the round black disks. I found my record player in another box and set it up on my wooden chest.

It took a bit of heaving but I managed to move my dark wood bed frame to where I wanted it. I turned back to the large pile of boxes waiting to be unpacked. I sighed putting my hands on my hips. This was going to take me a while.

as i sat on my window seat i took a look at the view of the back yard “Whoa,” I said breathlessly. I wondered how I had gone a few hours without looking out the window. Out stretched a field of golden wheat in front of me. It looked like it went for a while. It was something out of the movies.

I had noticed the vacant lots on both side of our house when we rocked up but I had been cooped up in this room since I had got here. Now looking out the window, the first excitement grew in my stomach. I wanted to explore the place.

Harrys P.O.V

“What are you doing?” I asked staring out the back door as my stomach churned a terrible feeling swelling inside me.

I stared out into the backyard and eyed the old petrol drum spewing flames and the whole pile of household stuff and clothes sitting next to it. I watched as Dad held clothes over the fire burning them to dust. I recognized the skirts and shirts as my mothers.

“Where’s Mum?” I asked reprehensible. I didn’t really want to know the answer, in case he replied by pointing to the drum. I swallowed as he just shook his head and chucked two of Mum’s jewellery boxes into the fire. My face paled as he pulled out a ring out of his pocket and tugged his off his left hand throwing them into the drum with contempt on his face.

I couldn’t breathe as shock was consuming me. What had he done with her?

“What did you do to her? Where is Mum?” I demanded.

He looked up at me and gave me the most unfeeling glare, “gone.” He said it with out shouting, without raising his voice, but the tone in his voice produced the most uncomfortable shiver and goosebumps down my back.

I was panting, I felt sick, my stomach was doing back flips as I thought about the other night.

I awoke with as start and vomited over the side of the couch. My heart was pumping a million miles a minute. I shook my head trying to rid my mind of the old memories, brought back to life after seven years.

“Whoa Harry, take it easy,” someone said as they slid a bucket under my chin catching only a quarter of the mess.

i looked up to the source of the voice. it was my mate Niall. “Party too hard?” he smirked, I made a face. “Yeah, too hard,” I said under my breath. I ran my hands through my hair trying to swallow. I grabbed the water bottle on the coffee table.

Brianas P.O.V.

I was gnawing on an apple before the bus turned up. Better an apple than my fingernails. It was hot already and it was only eight in the morning. At least the bus stop was shaded by a large tree.

It felt like I had to wait for ages. Finally it pulled into the curb. Faces were watching me out the window. I felt my cheeks redden a little. The doors swung open and the bus driver looked lazily at me. I hopped up the steps and passed over a few coins to the driver. I stood in the isle looking frantically for a spot to sit. I spotted some empty seats in the middle and started to walk when the bus took off.

“Hey new kid?” A girl with blonde hair said as I passed her. I turned around cautiously expecting something worse than her offer of a seat. She pulled her bag onto her lap to make room for me. “You can sit here.”

“Thanks,” I murmured as I sat down.

“I’m Perrie,” she said.

I tried a polite smile, “Briana.”She smiled.

I just nodded. I looked over at her. She was looking down at her mobile phone; her medium length hair spilled over her face.

“So you’re new this term, I gather. You’re a senior?” She asked, finally looking up from her phone.

I nodded.

“Do you have your timetable yet?” I nodded again.

She looked at me expectantly, “What do you have first?”

“Um, maths, I think,” i remembered.

She suddenly brightened, “Good you’re in my class! I can show you to the classroom.”

I smiled, “Sure. Thanks.”