Chapter One- Dear James

October 15th, 1884

Dear James,

Once more I've heard little from you in the past 6 months. I know you are doing well. The last time we spoke I was deeply worried for your well-being, though time has made me realise how much happier you are where you now reside. You reminded me how stressful your job was; being tasked assistant to the new Lord Mayor, Victor Lawrence. I pleaded with you to dismiss your position believing you couldn't handle it... I know I was wrong. I had heard many stories of what kind of person Lord Mayor Lawrence was, yet you dedicated yourself to his time. I know you of all people are not a bad judge of others characters. I know you are there to help those who need it more.

I will enlighten you to the fact that I have moved to Gravesend, East of London; in a most glorious flat for those willing to pay for it. You must be proud of me, and please visit me there soon. I no longer live with Charlie, nor in my—

I threw the pen down.

I simply couldn't do it. Lying was easy for me but I could not send this to my own brother knowing it wasn't true.

I looked up from my small desk that was crushed against the wooden wall and a small cupboard of draws. My trailer was small but then again it was just me. So it was enough.

I looked down at the letter I was holding once more, disgusted with myself before ripping it to shreds and throwing it into the bin then storming outside to get some fresh air.

This wasn't me. I do not talk like this. I really don't know how. James and I grew up too differently. Our parents died when I was 11 and James was 12. I went to an all-girls orphanage in London and James went to one just for boys. We kept in regular contact writing every week, planning to move away together when we were able to. When we were deemed old enough we were given the choice to leave. I was ready to escape to a better place. But by then James wanted to stay in the city. I wanted to travel. I wanted to see what mysteries and adventures awaited over the Ocean. But James didn't want to leave. And I wasn't going to make him.

A year and a half has gone since leaving the orphanage. I had turned 18 two weeks ago. James was very lucky when he left the orphanage to meet a man in the city who would eventually help him gain his job within the London Mayor's council. Though my brother was nineteen, he was smart. It didn't take long at all before he climbed the ranks.

Me? I chose to leave. I don't live in Gravesend in a fancy flat or nice street. I live in my trailer and go where-ever Charlie takes me. Charlie has a good sense of direction and never lets me down no matter where we end up. He is a purebred draft horse after all. I'd expect nothing less from what I'd paid for. Well if I had paid for him. I have to make a living somehow don't I? Am I proud of it? No. But I've never hurt anyone so I like to think that I'm doing better than other people like me.

I walked over to an apple tree that was still holding onto its fruit as if autumn hadn't begun to set in yet. The sky was a magical colour of pink and orange as the sun set over the lake I had been settled in front of for the past five weeks.

Picking a bucket full I wandered back over to Charlie who was tied up to the side of my trailer. His Brown coat and black hair looked wonderful at this time of day, and I could only think how grateful I was to have such a companion.

"I don't know what I would do without you Charlie." I spoke to him as if he understood every word.

I had originally planned to leave this area a few days ago, but considering the mountain trek we had to get over to get here I was very willing to stay a little longer. Tomorrow I would be ready to leave. After I wrote my letter.

6 months ago I got my last letter from James. I had moved around a lot with my trailer which had made me miss letters many times in the past. But my heart knew it was different. Something had gone wrong and James had refused to tell me about it, leading to the fact that I was never to know. He had made that very clear in his last letter- telling me that he had found something and that he wasn't perhaps supposed to know. Something that had him suddenly want out of his job position. Something that had him hiding. And something that has me hiding... because I want to find out what it is.