Chapter Seven- Selling Mutts

I stared straight into his cold eyes, not wanting to give away the others position.

"You!" The man spat at me, pulling my arm, "You were the one that came past here weeks ago. You stole my gold-plated traces..."

I swallowed hard.

"...Give. Them. Back." He threatened.

"No I didn't, Sir. I believe you to have me confused with someone else."

Did I take them? Yes. But he hadn't seen me that night so I was sure I could talk my way out of this situation. Who honestly needed gold-plated traces for a cart? I knew children in London who needed them more than this guy did.

"So what... do you think you're doing here then?" he snarled.

"I was merely looking for a warm place to settle for the night." I talked back steadily, "You see my horse ran off and I've been tracking him the last day and I believe he's been wandering around your farm, but it's just been too dark so I needed a place to rest—"

"Don't try selling me a dog, girl," he growled, "I know your kind. Taking children and stealing things that don't belong to you—"

"I beg your pardon! I do not take children!"

He then grinned leaning in more, "But you do steal don't you..."

Damn.

My face faltered.

"Okay see here," I spoke quickly, "I really just need to be somewhere and I just need to borrow your—"

"I've heard enough from your filthy mouth, gypsy girl. Punishment... does not step aside for those who break the law," he then pushed the gun into my side, pulling the safety.

I was suddenly finished trying to talk my way out.

I pulled away.

In one movement I pushed his gunned hand backwards, ducked behind him, and then twisted his arm down, avoiding the gun shot that rang out.

I elbowed his side with my free arm moving around him as he tried to take aim again, then twisted backwards the pinkie finger on his hand holding my wrist, watching him finally let go. I ducked when he swung his arm, firing off another shot that hit into the barn doors.

I turned to see where the bullet had hit, hoping it had missed the others hiding in there.

The man quickly took note of where my attention was suddenly focused on.

Distracted by the hole in the barn doors I went to turn back to the man only to receive a hard blow to the side of my face which sent me straight onto the ground, and I watched him as he began striding towards the barn doors.

I rounded back on him as quick as I could, twisting myself around as he walked past me. I pulled his legs out hard from under him then dived on top of him, meandering his wrist back and sideways until it cracked, pulling the gun from his hand before he could fire another shot.

"Go now!" I yelled out to the barn.

The barn doors swung open and Violet and Rhys came riding out on one of the horses.

I rolled off the man holding the gun towards him then fired a warning shot to the side of his feet.

Only the gun didn't go off.

I clicked it a few times before we both realised it was out and he stood up, furiously coming towards me while pulling out a second gun hidden in his coat.