Chapter 41: From monkey girl to little chihuahua

Jayden's POV

Thank goodness, my new job kept me busy during weekdays. I've gotten to know most of the guys in my department.

But of course, they were initially apprehensive of me because of how I look. I just don't have the appearance of what you call a typical engineer.

No geeky glasses with pens and protractors on their breast pocket. I look more like a lost child.

Despite that, with my hard work and persistence, they eventually looked past my outer shell and realized that I'm a good investment.

Being in their environment also allowed them to be familiarized with me. So familiar  that I've come to be called their little pet or more like a pet dog.

'Hey, little Chihuahua, lover boy is here to pick you up. Hasta manana, chika,' says Raul, one of my coworkers when he saw Alex entering our office.

Yup, that's my new nickname. Not little cutie or little Jayden, its little Chihuahua. Just because they overheard me talking to a supplier one day who was giving us a hard time with our orders.

I talked his ear off until he finally relented to our condition. From then on, I've been nicknamed after a cute dog that represents taco bell.

Here I thought since I'm all grown up and has a job, my nicknames will vanish along with my baby fat.

I guess, someone will always come up with a wise ass nickname to make them feel closer to you if that's the reason for making one up.

Alex, had to show to all the guys in my new job that I'm taken. Since I start work before he does, he made sure that he dropped me off at the front of the building.

He never hesitates to hug and kiss me when he says goodbye. I didn't have a choice but to tell everyone from the very beginning that I'm already stamped and to be delivered soon since they kept bugging me about him.

The ladies at work were dying to learn how I snagged my fiancee, Alex.  I love how it just rolls off my tongue. I can tell they're jealous and suspicious of why Alex is with me.

They must think that I've given him some love potion or paid a witch doctor to cast a love spell on him. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

Sometimes I wish I'm really a chihuahua so I could bark at them 'til they're deaf, then they'll quit pestering me.

Every time I get asked about Alex, I automatically have an internal battle with my self-confidence. I'm really not waiting, but mostly praying that my worst fear won't happen.

That is for him to wake up one day and realize that being with me was a mistake and that he never really wanted me in the first place. That I was after all just a challenge to him or another notch in the post.

I still have that in the deep recesses of my mind although time and time again he had proven that I'm wrong. Still, who's to say?

One day, out of the blue, he wanted to go out for dinner. I told him not to waste his money on an expensive dinner when we can just make something at home.

He insisted, saying that it's been a while since we had an alone time that is not in his or my house.

I put on a pair of jeans and nice blouse thinking we're just going to a burger joint. Much to my surprise and annoyance, he took me to the restaurant where we had our official first date.

I could have thump him in the head for not forewarning me that he's taking me here.

He said it didn't  matter what I'm dressed like. Easy for him to say, he could be wearing a trash bag and he would still look good.

Nevertheless, we enjoyed our meal and took a stroll in the neighborhood.

'It's like déjà vu. We've done the same exact thing on our first date except I looked better then,' reminiscing on that beautiful memory when he gave me the promise ring, which I still wear every day. The engagement ring, I keep it on a necklace for fear of losing it.

'You still look exactly the same as the first time I brought you here. I'm still mesmerized and in awe of you. You've been the greatest find that any guy could want and I'm glad that I found you.' As he was saying this cheesy lines, he pulled out two identical black leather cord with engraved letters on the metallic part of the bracelet.

'You're so cheesy and what are you doing?' I asked him while trying to figure out if there's some occasion that I might have missed but only he seemed to have remembered. He just shushed me.

He placed the bracelet on my wrist while saying, 'Jayden, will you be mine again for forever and grow old with me and stay by my side through hard times? I know that we've had a very long engagement and you have to know that every day I pray that you won't get tired of waiting for me. So, with this bracelet, would you allow me to tie you down and stay with me forever?' locking the clasp into place and looked me intently in the eye.

'Yes, Alex. I'd be happy to get married with you and be tied down and stay locked in your arms forever if you would allow me to,' looking back at him with my vision getting blurry from the tears forming in my eyes.

I was touched with how willing he is to open his heart and say what he feels. The enormity of his love sometimes amazes me considering myself the luckiest to be the recipient of such affection.

I looked at the engraving and it said, 'what my ❦ wants is Alex '. He handed me the other bracelet and told me to put it on him.

'Shouldn't have I gotten you something instead, isn't that how it's supposed to be?' asking him, I feel embarrassed that I never thought of giving him anything like this.

'No, I want us to match,' he said with confidence.

'Alex, to you, I want to spend my life and to you, I want to entrust my heart. Will you never forget that you are the keeper of my heart and I leave it in your hands to keep it safe forever,' I lovingly looked at him and when he nodded his head, I attached the bracelet clasp on the lock. His engraving says, 'what my ❦ wants is Jayden'.

After we exchange bracelets, he took out his cellphone and played a song. When I heard the intro, I remembered the song from a while back which I used to love. It's 'So close' by John Mclaughlin from the movie Enchanted.

He took my hands and placed one on his shoulder and the other on his waist. I had to tippy toe since he's way taller than me. We started swaying along with the music. I used to get teary eyed every time I hear the song because of its melody but this time I was softly crying because of this overwhelming feeling I have for Alex, right at this moment.

'Babe, why are you crying?' as he lifted up my face, stopping his gentle swaying.

'I don't know, I guess I'm just overcome with your gesture. Ever since we've been together you have been the perfect boyfriend and I just hope that you'll never change and wake up one day and realize that being with me was just a momentary lapse of judgment,' verbalizing my common fear.

He just gathered me in his arms and caressed my hair. 'Oh babe, how many times do I have to tell you that you're the one for me and that I'll always be with you? Has the past few years that we've been together didn't show you how true my feelings are? Don't you think I've realized by now if you're not for me?'

'I'm sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have this doubts anymore. I should just fully trust you like you asked me to instead of listening to all this doubts in my head,' I said as he's wiping away my tears.

'Alex, Thank you for the bracelet and thank you for putting up with me,' caressing his lovely face as he kissed the part of my palm that he could reach.

'Jayden, those are not the words that I want to hear from you,' correcting me.

'Alex, I love you with all my heart,' quickly rectifying my mistake.

'That's better and I love you more, Jayden,' cupping my face and sealing his statement with a long kiss.

I don't know how long we enjoyed each other's lips but a car honking on the road broke us apart. Guess we got caught up in the moment. But what a sweet moment it is.

Definitely one for the grandchildren to hear someday, of course the G rated version.