Chapter Twelve

Lucas

3 Months Later

"Yeah, I'll be there in an hour Alyssa."
I smiled. I was out of the wheelchair and into leg braces. I felt so good, just 2 more months and I'll be good. I'm still trying to figure out a way to properly ask her out. It was easier when she was throwing herself at me, now she isn't and I don't know if I have game still.

I can stand up on my own and even take steps. I still need help with running and bending down to a squat. I was very thankful for Alyssa, all she does is push me to be my best and I'm grateful for that. My moms been real helpful too, she fucked me up when I started slacking. I'ma take that women somewhere nice when I get my legs back fully.

I quickly knocked on Alyssa's door as my legs were giving in. Her door swung open, displaying a man, I didn't know.
"Hey, I'm here for Alyssa."
"What for?" I sighed, he was acting very inconsiderate, considering I am walking on braces.
"She's my trainer, can I please come in and sit." I groaned, moving a little, due to my legs getting numb.
"Look, I know you see. She's busy, come back later." Before he could shut the door all the way, I stuck my brace in it.
"Hol—" but before I could finish my sentence, I was pushed to the ground. I frowned in pain as he shut the door, breaking one of my braces, in half.

'°'

"Yeah, I'm okay." I was on the phone with my mother, after I had a tough time getting to my car. I didn't tell her about what happened, I just didn't want her worrying too much, she'll worry herself to death if I told her. So I decided against it, I was going to find something else to do, since Alyssa was so busy. Shortly after, I hung up. I still couldn't believe he broke my leg brace, it was unnecessary if you asked me. I was only there for my appointment, who was he anyways? It was a million things running through my head as I pulled up to my condominiums. Why did I even care so much about this girl? God gave me another chance to live, but how did I even know of Alyssa? Once I got inside of my home, I shot her text, saying I didn't want her to be my trainer anymore and to find me a new one. She had too much going on and I couldn't have it distracting me from getting my body back.

Alyssa

"Who was it?" I watched him sigh, then sit in the bed next to me.
"I have no idea, I opened the door and they were gone. I guess I took too long." Me and Ken had our disagreements but we always settled our differences. Moments later, my phone lit up. I pulled it off the charger and opened the message from Lucas, saying I needed to find him a new trainer because he no longer wanted to work with me. I stood up quickly, remembering we had scheduled an appointment today and that I invited him over again. Then my attention turned to Kenneth.
"Was my client at the door?" I watched him twist his face up.
"You questioning me? I said wasn't nobody out there." I huffed, getting dressed. I knew he lying, I just didn't want my face to get hurt again.
"Where you going?"
"I'm going to work, I need to do something."
"You don't have a job anymore, quit."
"But Ken—"
"I said quit!" He barked from the other side of the bed. Considering I was dumb enough to get married yesterday because he confessed his everlasting love to me, and I was so happy. One day later, everything back fired on me. He wants me to quit the job I went to college for, my dream and if I didn't do as he said, he'll make sure my face wouldn't be recognizable.
"You heard me? Now I don't wanna hear nothing else about a job. I got all the money you need! I have everything you want. You don't need them, you got me."
"You don't understand, I want my own mo—" Before I could finish my sentence, he started throwing his shoes at me. One hit me, sending me to the floor. I watched him walk over to me and grit his teeth.
"Let me have to repeat myself again and it'll be a problem." He kissed my forehead and sat back down on the bed. I stood up, scanning around the room for my keys.
"I'll be back, I'm going to pick up my last check before I quit." I snatched my purse, and keys off the dresser as I left him in the room. I quickly walked to the front door, but as I walked out. I saw something familiar, a leg brace. I picked it up and ran to my car. He must've done something to Lucas and now he doesn't even want to work with me anymore. All because of Ken, I am no longer working, it's only been a day and I regret everything.