Chapter 3: Staying Over

Coraline stretched and lay back, keeping her arms stretched out on either side of her. She yawned and rubbed her eyes sleepily.

"I'm getting tired." She opened her eyes to look to Norman when she heard a loud shriek downstairs.

"Norman! That's dangerous!" Norman's mom called up. Coraline stood up and waved down before cupping her hands around her mouth.

"Hey, Norman's mom!" she chuckled at the surprise look on the woman's face and ran to go down. She beckoned her friends to come along. "I'm Coraline. Your neighbor." The blue haired girl smiled and reached out her hand to Norman's mother, smiling.

"Oh... Um... Hello." They shook hands before Coralined clasped her hands behind her back.

"Norman told me about you guys' awesome stories against the zombies." Coraline's smile widened. "I can't believe he can see the dead either. That's so not fair. I wish I could do that."

"That does seem pretty cool." Wybie nodded in agreement.

"Anyway, can Norman stay the night tonight?" Coraline asked.

"With a girl? I'm not so-"

"Please? It's just for him to get used to It here. It'll give you guys more time to get comfortable in your new home. Wybie can stay too. That way there'll be two guys. Not just one-on-one girl and boy." Coraline, who didn't think her plan through, watched as Norman's mom gave in, nodding. "Yay! Norman, go pack your bags. You're staying over."

Coraline ran back inside her home, calling up to her parents. She fixed up an area on her window seat for her to sleep, leaving the bed for the two boys to sleep. They were hesitant at first, but she quickly scolded them for being children and went to get something to eat. Wybie followed not long afterward.

A slight tap on the window made Norman jump. He faced to where the sound was coming from and saw a black cat on the other side.

It hit its paw against the glass. Norman reluctantly pulled the window open, the feline climbing inside and nodding to him.

"Oh, the cat!" Coraline said as she walked inside with a bag of chips and a couple sandwiches. She set down the food and picked the animal up, holding it close. "Norman, you can use the bed with Wybie. I'll use the window seats." She sat down and pulled a folded blanket around her and the cat. "So, what was it like? We're you scared?"

"What was what like?" Norman asked, sitting down and tugging his sleeves down to his fingertips again.

"Finding out you could see the dead."

"Well..." He shrugged, not knowing what to say. "I've been able to see them since before I can remember, but I guess I was a bit surprised when I found out that nobody else could see them. People were a bit scared, but it was normal for me, so I didn't mind much."

"Oh..." Coraline sighed. She chuckled and tossed another pillow in their direction. "Well, I wanna hear about a few of them. They sound cool."

They stayed up the rest of the night talking until Coraline decided to turn off all the lights, light some candles, and open the windows to tell ghost stories. Norman couldn't help but laugh at her ridiculous stories, but she eventually got him huddled close to a pillow, the feeling of being watched eating away at him.

While Wybie attempted to tell his own, Coraline fell asleep, the cat cuddled in close to her as she snuggled up under a blanket.

Norman was next, leaving Wybie to blow out the candles and close the windows. Since Norman was already hogging all of the blankets, he lay down on the other side, falling asleep almost immediately.

************************************

I apologize for the late update. I'm trying to catch up with the others. That way, I can focus on other stories more. Thank you for being so patient. I hope to update soon, but it depends on how things work out. I love you guys!