Chapter 6: The Door

Coraline was the first to wake up. Fortunately, she didn't seem to have any trouble with nightmares the night before. She climbed out of the tent and yawned, stretching.

The sun was just poking over the trees, illuminating the scene before her. The garden was lit up and the dew drops reflected the new light. She smiled and popped her neck, trying to get the stiffness out.

They'd decided to place the tent near the trees, but still in sight of the house.

Coraline thought about waking them up, but changed her mind and went to rest on the bridge, slipping her legs through the bars and gazing down at the flowers below, counting how many beets she could see in between the blooming petals.

"Ah, good morning, Caroline." Mr. Bobinsky greeted as he walked past the garden, carrying a shovel.

"Good morning, Mr. B. Whatcha got there?" Coraline asked, leaning back to watch him.

"My beets are sprouting up. You should try one," He answered.

"Sure. Why don't you stop by later and we can all have some?" She offered, smiling.

"Splendid!" He nodded. "Well, I'm off."

Coraline waved as he walked off and she hummed to herself again, standing upright. She'd probably catch a cold if she stayed out here in her pajamas much longer. She went inside, careful not to wake her parents, and changed into a pair of black jean shorts, a dark blue tank top, and her jean jacket. Forgetting her boots, she wandered back out to find Wybie already tidying things up.

"What're you doing?" She asked, watching as he folded the blanket he'd used last night. "I told you I'd do that."

"It's fine. Not like I'll die if I do a little work." He chuckled as she shook her head. "Why're you up so early? Bad dreams?"

"Oddly, no. I actual slept pretty good. What about you? You always have to be woken in the mornings."

Wybie pouted as he held the now-folded blanket under his arm. "I sensed you were gone and I missed you."

Coraline laughed and shook her head.

"Yeah, right. Should I get Norman up now?" She asked, pulling back the opening to the tent to look inside. "Yeah, we should probably go back inside..." She looked up to the sky as a shadow was cast along them. "It looks like it's going to storm soon."

Once all three of them put everything up and safely locked themselves inside, Coraline pulled out a board game. They played for a while until she got bored and wanted to go play out in the rain. Her mother objected until Coraline pulled out her new yellow rain coat and boots, begging.

They each covered up: Wybie wearing her mother's rain gear and Norman somehow managing in the oversized rain coat and boots of her father. She laughed at their expressions and forced them to go out with her.

By the time they were bored of that, the storm became worse, driving them into the main room and ignoring the racket of the windows.

Coraline despised this room. From the Boring Blue Boy to the mini door in the wall, but her mother didn't want them to break anything, so she stared at the wall upside down, her legs dangling off of the top of the couch.

"I'm bored," Coraline whined. She yawned and stretched, ignoring the sound her rain boots made when she accidentally hit them together. Her rain coat was tossed over the table, dripping water onto the red rug her mother had replaced shortly after the Other Mother incident.

"Mom!" Coraline called as Norman was about to suggest something to do.

"What?!" Her mother called back.