Chapter Eleven

I woke up sometime later because of my tummy rumbling. I sat up and let out a yawn. I sleepily scratched my head and looked out the window,

"Goodevening" Nathan greeted me and handed me a glass of water. I grabbed it immediately. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

"Thanks" I smiled at him and began rocking back and forth. "What's for dinner?" I asked him softly. He raises an eyebrow.

"You okay?"

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?" I eyed him carefully and he just smiled and shook his head. He stood up and began walking towards the kitchen.

"Canned beef for dinner" he called behind his shoulder.

"Hoorah"

Dinner was in a word, awkward. Silence enveloped the atmosphere as I continue to eat. The canned beef was hot and strangely yummy. We still had a few sacks of rice left, and since dad built this himself he placed a stove that runs with gas. But sooner or later the gas will soon be gone and we have to start eating cold canned beef. I shivered at that thought.

"Cass have you noticed that you were uglier than before" Emily said out of the blue. I closed my eyes and sighed, looking at her.

"Were you talking to yourself again?" I cocked a mocking eyebrow.

"I'll go get some air" Nathan said standing up. I hardly annalyzed what he said because I was too busy arguing with this brat. I heard the door open and broke eye contact with Emily. Once Nathan closed it I faced Emily again.

"What was that?" I clutched my hand.

"You're welcome" She said eating another spoon of beef and rice. I sighed and stand up.

"Where'r you going?" She asks while chewing.

"Outside"

"Tell jerkface I'm eating his food!" she waved at me and I shut the door behind me.

I shivered slightly once the cool air touched my skin. I went to the side of the van and saw Nathan leaning against the van. Both hands in his pocket and his head was facing the ground.

"Hey" I greeted. He snapped his head towards me and smiled.

"Hey!" leaning against the van, I stared at him. His hair has grown longer and his face shows the lack of his sleep.

"You look tired, I can drive tomorrow while you get the hours of sleep you lost" I offered him. I placed my hands inside my hoodie, it's getting colder so winter is near. 

"Thanks but I'm fine"

"I insist you take my offer" I said my chin raising. I used a british accent.

He raises an eyebrow "No point in arguing?"

"I shook my head no "No" He chuckles lightly and I did the same. I inhales deeply and rests his head on my shoulder. I tensed up a little and my heart beated loudly in my chest. I looked down at Nathan and relaxed.

I could hear distant moans but I chose to ignore it. I slowly closed my eyes and gently rested my head on top of Nathans'

"CASS! NATHAN! COME HERE!"  Nathan jerked away from me and I let out a silent groan and went stomping back into the van.

"What is it that you want?" I asked Emily the minute I entered the van. I saw her holding a small notebook.

"I know where that science lab is!''

I crossed my arms "How?"

"I read moms' journal and she said the name of the lab!" She said beaming. My face turned serious "It's called the "Southern Top Laboratory" She said reading the journal. She raises an eyebrow 'Weird name for top scientists who work there"