Paths

The path you can take on your journey is entirely individual to you. Yes, if you choose, you can follow a certain tradition with certain guidelines set according to those beliefs. But that is more in the realm of religion. I myself identify as eclectic. For the sake of it, let's say you have no idea what I'm talking about when I say eclectic. An eclectic witch doesn't follow a certain tradition, but rather studies many different sects and ideas in Witchcraft (and even different religions if they so choose) to form their own path. They incorporate many pieces of other traditions or any ideas into their practice. While this does cause for an extra amount of research, it is well worth it. An eclectic witch often works solitary, or without a group or coven. This gives them even more freedom to practice as they see fit.

You may have heard of a Green Witch, or a Hedge Witch. Kitchen Witch, maybe? Or how about a Sea Witch? There are many more of course, but how do you know what these are? This helps you identify what that practitioner's style of Witchcraft is. Do they work with herbs, or plants? Crystals? Do they work in the kitchen? How about shells? There are lots of different types that you can identify with, or you can just call yourself a Witch. Or you can not call yourself a witch at all. However you identify yourself, it doesn't mean you aren't valid. You can call yourself the Wicked Witch of New York City. You can call yourself a bush, if you identify with that.

So... anyone a bush here? That would be cool. Anyway, the point is, labels don't matter. They only matter if they matter to you. But don't put stress on it just because it seems like it matters to others. Because your path, your practice, and your Craft are entirely for you, and only you. It is a personalized spirituality, tailored just for you.

And that is something that I cannot ever stress enough: You must always form your own path. No one can tell you how to make it. It's much like how on one can tell us who we are, or how to live our life. They can give us tips, and they can share their opinion, but they still must be respectful and we must not rely heavily on them. You can follow a certain tradition, but only if it speaks to you. You can choose bits and pieces to use. You can use none at all. It's entirely up to you.

It's always good to ask for help, but because this is their experiences, ask a lot of people. Read in lots of places. Those books saying "The only so and so book you'll ever need!" are lying to you. It's not the only book you'll ever need on that subject. Yes, it may contain a lot of information, and that's great! But don't just listen to that one book.

However you identify yourself, however you practice, it is entirely up to you. No one else can tell you how to do it, but yourself.