Grounding and Centering

Grounding? Okay, time to put something in the ground. Oh, centering? I guess we should put something in the center of a circle, right? That's what this is all about?

That was honestly my first thought when I heard those terms. At least, I think. It was a long time ago.

Not that long ago. I'm not that old. A year or two ago. That's it.

Anyway, back to the main topic!

What is grounding and centering?

These two things are also what you do to prepare yourself and space before doing a spell. While it's like cleansing and charging, it's just a teensy tiny bit different.

Grounding and centering is mostly visualization and meditation. Also, it is specific to yourself. You don't ground or center items, as far as I know of, at least. The way I see it, grounding and centering are a spiritual way of cleansing and setting intentions (also known as charging) yourself: mind, body, and spirit. Three in one! Well, actually, two...

Grounding is when you replenish your energy with positive vibes and also kick out all the bad ones. It is important to do, because if you are not grounded, you could feel lost, lonely, empty, tired, and apathetic for what seems like no reason at all.

Centering is when you centralize (hence, the name) your energy at some place in your body, generally at the navel chakra, or solar plexus chakra. If you aren't centered, you may feel hyperactive, nervous, restless, have overwhelming emotions, self-hatred, confused, unfocused, dizzy, and forgetful.

If you don't ground or center before or after doing spellwork, then it will leave you feeling dizzy and tired, with headaches. You don't want to do that.

If I ever ground and center, I usually do it before doing spellwork, but it is also really good to do it after as well. And much like cleansing, this doesn't have to be restricted to doing spellwork. Any time you feel those things above (empty, tired, dizzy, forgetful, etc.), it's very helpful to ground and center. Frankly, I suggest grounding and centering at least once a week outside of spellcasting.

I feel that grounding and centering is one of the first things a person should learn when they look into the Craft. While cleansing and charging is very important, this, I believe, should be learned first since it's so crucial. My apologies for having this after, but they're so close to each other that I feel it's alright.

Before we move on to how to ground and center, let's introduce a couple crystals. Many people like to use crystals when meditating, or when grounding. Hematite and smoky quartz are common grounding stones or crystals. Bloodstone and tourmalinated quartz help remove energy blocks, and onyx helps remove negative energies.

So now we know what grounding and centering is, and why it's so critical to do. But, how do you do it?

Here is the method that I use, but I'll also list some sources below to lead you to other methods.

Grounding

1. First, get into a comfortable position. Many people do it sitting down with their hands on their knees, palms up. Yes, the famous meditation pose. However, do whatever you see fit and whatever feels the most comfortable to you. If you choose to use crystals, make sure they are cleansed and charged.

2. Once you are in a comfortable position and have your crystals if you so choose, calm yourself. Close your eyes and breathe in and out slowly. 

3. This is where visualization comes in. Visualize you are a tree, with roots from you feet going deep down into the Earth. Your arms are your branches, and your hands are your leaves.

4. Visualize all your negative energy (worries, negative thoughts, old or excess energy, etc.) going down your roots and into the Earth to be renewed into positive energy. I generally picture this energy as small black orbs, but you can visualize it however you'd like.

5. Next, visualize positive and pure energy coming in through your leaves and coursing through your body and veins.

6. Continue the cycle, and pay attention to the feeling of the positive energy coursing through you. Once you feel satisfied, slowly open your eyes.

Centering

1. Just like grounding, get into a comfortable position. Lots of people lay down or stand up for this. One again, you can do whatever position you'd like.

2. Close your eyes and slow down your breathing. Like grounding, make sure you are relaxed.

3. Visualize your body as a black silhouette, with millions of small orbs of glowing lights around you, lighting up your body.

4. Like a vacuum, start collecting those glowing orbs into a bigger orb at your navel. 

5. Once all the smaller orbs are gone, transform the larger orb into a solid, glowing sphere. Then, slowly open your eyes.

Yup, that's it. It can be as long or as short as you'd like, just use your intuition and do what feels right.

Got any other methods? Please comment below! I'd love to hear them.

But wait, isn't there something else?

Ah, yes. There are many practitioners, especially those from certain religions or traditions, who do other things to cleanse themselves and prepare for a ritual or spell. One of the most common types is a ritual bath. But I'll get on to that later. It's not a necessity for the absolute basics.

See you later, witches!

Sources

http://www.spellsofmagic.com/coven_ritual.html?ritual=2571&coven=67 (I use this one)

https://exemplore.com/wicca-witchcraft/Wicca-for-Beginners-What-are-Grounding-and-Centering-and-How-Do-You-Do-Them (This has other methods, and also shows what happens when you are not grounded or centered)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/Ac_aySID71xUb3vHiClJFhIq2UCie1Cl0d5phIZ1rwLxw6n8ydzQRJo/ (These are the crystals)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/770185973745148676/ (Quick centering method)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AQFtBuZjjXkfS3MpJ4xehfqlDQtLlLoCqPAaJ11QkQcwVx8W3n_IaLY/ (Quick grounding method)