Raising Power and Energy

So, in lots of books, you might be instructed to raise power. What exactly is that?

Well, when you are doing your spellwork, you are sending your intention out into the Universe, where it can go into action. Some people believe that spellwork in itself is raising power, but many people believe that you need to add this step in to increase the effectiveness of it and to finalize the process. The way I like to think of it is that the spellwork transforms the energy into your intention (remember, not create, transform) and sends it into the universe, but raising the energy gives it that extra umph. Which, frankly, helps a lot.

There are lots of different ways to raise power. Some people chant or whisper, some sing, and some dance. Another common method is using drums. This is also paired with visualization, as a lot of Witchcraft is. When doing your action, you visualize all that energy you emitting building up, and then you release it into the Universe. So I guess now you can't make any excuses to not run. Actually, you can, but not if the excuse is Witchcraft, because you can do Witchcraft WHILE RUNNING! WOW!

Yea, that sounds tiring, but I'm sure it can be done. That's called spontaneous magick. I'll go more into that later. Also, I'll go into why I spelled "magic" as "magick" later too.

Another common method is called the Cone of Power. You may have heard of it. I've especially seen this in Wiccan traditions (yes, there are different sects of Wicca if you didn't know already, just like there's different sects of Christianity and so on). Oftentimes, this is used in a group. Everyone in the circle joins hands and dances around in a clockwise manner. Sometimes, chanting is also used. The circle of witches is considered the base of the Cone of Power, and the energy they are raising travels up to complete the Cone, sending it into the Universe. This is also called the Circle Dance. Oftentimes, when doing the Cone of Power or Circle Dance, you go faster and faster until you can't anymore. The Cone of Power often symbolizes the Wheel of the Year and the cycles of life.

Here's another one, from Oberon Zell-Ravenheart's Grimoire For The Apprentice Wizard. You side in a meditative position, and you start to breathe slowly. Then, you speed up, breathing faster and faster until you can't anymore and release the energy into the Universe, shouting "So mote it be!" Then you just collapse until you have the energy to stand or sit up again.

Whenever you raise power, it is always right after doing your spellwork. This way, they can kind of go hand in hand. And the energy from the spellwork doesn't just sit around. I mean, come on. They have places to be, intentions to set, and so on. They have busy lives. Just like we do.

I'm not sure if energy is alive though. Maybe it is. We should treat it as sacred as a life, though.

If you're looking for other methods of raising power, you just gotta think: what can I do?  When you do something, you use energy. That energy is emitted from you. When you set your energy to something (often done by using a spell), you have to emit it by doing. So what will you do? You can do something quiet like simply meditating or humming. It can also be as loud as dancing, singing, playing instruments, and shouting until you can't anymore. You could create a special song or dance just for rituals. The possibilities are endless.

Okay, so this one was kind of short, but I still feel it was necessary. I myself have heard of the Cone of Power, but I didn't really understand it until I read more about it to write it down here. I hope you understood it better than I did the first time I read it!

Peace out, Witches!

Sources

https://thewitchescircle.aminoapps.com/page/blog/ways-to-raise-energy/2rVG_LJSNumYwlkE2zLwvG73V8lPMVZDp4

https://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/c/cone_of_power.html

  Zell-Ravenheart, Oberon. "Class IV: Conducting A Ritual." Grimoire For The Apprentice Wizard, New Page Books, 2004, pp. 178–178.  

  Ravenwolf, Silver. "Part I." Solitary Witch, Llewellyn Publications, 2003, pp. 17–17.