Chapter One: Drunken Dreams

February 17th, 2019- Desederia's POV

       THE NIGHT WAS YOUNG; the stars were hardly out, music boomed from the house behind us, and a chill was in the air. That's probably our karma for going out partying in the peak of winter.

While my friend Patience stumbled around in her heels, I dug in my handbag for the keys to my Jeep.

"Look at me, I'm spinninnggg!" She sang.

I instantly swung around, and in perfect timing. My arms stretched out on their own accords, catching my drunken friend and swiftly dodging a hefty hospital bill and angry set of parents.

While she went on a tangent about the cheap paint brushes her father had the audacity to buy her, I helped her into my passenger seat. I shut the door and walked around to my own, but not before taking a long glance at the chips of white peeling off of it.

I sighed, making a mental note to get a new paint job on the over two-year old car.

He would be disappointed to know it's been this long, considering it was already used when he bought it for you.

I shoved that thought into a dark corner of my mind as I drove a few streets away from the expensive condo that Patience's friend hosted parties in weekly.

After a long, annoying drive, I helped Patience out of the car and lead her inside. My mom was out of town for the weekend for her job, and my stepbrother had recently moved out so the house was all to myself., thankfully.

Once in the kitchen and placed on a bar stool, Patience continued to entertain me with her intoxicated stories.

Why am I always the designated driver, I thought to myself.

I grabbed her some water and helped her get ready to sleep.

"Splash splash bitch!" She exclaimed, throwing bathroom sink water into my face.

I stumbled back in surprise, then grabbed a towel and tried to get the rest of the process over with.

With utmost joy, I carefully guided her to my bed. She relaxed on contact and instantly fell unconscious. It was almost midnight and I had successfully led her to a safe place before some creep got the chance to abduct her.

Huzzah! I saved the lightweight all by myself!

It felt good to do charity work.

Okay, so she's my best friend. I obviously couldn't leave her by herself.

I began to get ready for bed as well, happy to know I was about to finally be asleep again.

My obnoxiously loud fan was on high power so I didn't hear my phone vibrating on the floor while I undressed. Once fully clothed again, I checked it and noticed a missed call from an unknown number. It was my area code, but I figured that if it was a big deal - or even a deal at all - then the stranger would call back.

Of course, as I was thinking this, the black phone in my hand sounded again and I waited after a few rings before answering.

"Hello?"

"Oh my God, Kennedy? Is it actually you? I thought you were-"

"Oh, you must have the wrong number." I stated, cutting off the unfamiliar voice on the other end.

"Oh, I do? This isn't Kennedy Rodgers?"

"I'm afraid not. Sorry!" I corrected.

"Oh wow, I'm so sorry to bother you! My mistake." The stranger apologized.

"That's alright, it happens to the best of us. Haha."

"Yes, it does. Have a nice day, Miss...."

"Daya. You too..."

"Ethan. Later, darling."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone and pondered the call for a moment. It wasn't too abnormal, but something about it felt off.

The thought vanished when Patience started breathing heavier. I quickly rushed to her side as her legs kicked and eyes squeezed shut. I started speaking gently to her while holding one of her hands.

"It's okay Pace, Daya's here. No one can hurt you here." I whispered, rubbing my thumb over her hand.

Patience had frequent episodes of sleep terror caused by her anxiety. She normally needed someone to keep watch of her or sleep beside her to calm her down in the case of an attack. I was always happy to assist anyone, especially one of my closest friends, so it'd never been a big deal to me when she spent the night.

After reassuring her unconscious state a few times that she was safe, her body fell tranquil again. I took off my glasses and laid on the other side of the bed, keeping her company.

It didn't take too long for me to join her in slumber, but, beforehand, a million thoughts raced through my mind. I itched for my phone to message my best friend, feeling the need to make sure he got home okay from the obnoxious party.

I fought off my exhaustion and picked up my phone from my nightstand. As I opened my messages, a new text came through from an all-too familiar contact.

"make it home okay?"
- Jesse Wesse Poo <3

I smiled gently. I could always count on him to check up on me.

"of course, i'm a survivor. patience on the other hand.."
- day <3

The elipses came up and I waited. After a moment, his response delivered.

"is she alright? she's with you, right?"
- Jesse Wesse Poo <3

I explained that she was safe in bed with me, which then lead him to parent me and tell me to go to sleep as well. Soon after, I gave in and wished him a good night.

As I drifted off to sleep, I smiled to myself. Life may have not been perfect, but I had some damn good friends.

~

Welcome to my new book, Sunflower Lullabies!

I've never written a thriller on wattpad before so I'm kind of excited :) Now, spoiler, it's also a romance so you get the best of both words <3 Or does that just make it a drama? I'm not really sure haha.

Don't forget to vote, comment, share, and follow me. Thank you.

Until next time, my lovelies.

- Kate <3