Chapter Six: Saint Patrick's Day

March 17th, 2019- Desederia's POV

          "JUST A FEW MORE SECONDS, ah, ten, nine, eight...three two one!"

"BAhh" I gasped, inhaling desperately for air. I had temporarily forgotten how great it felt to breathe.

"You did it! One minute and thirteen seconds with no air." Patience squealed, carefully applying her eyeliner.

I was going for the world record, although I knew I had a long way to go. Still, a minute is a long time to hold my breath.

"Maybe I should start going for a world record..." Paris pondered.

Patience and I looked at each other. "Why? You've already got the world's longest nails."

She glared at me. "Actually, they have to be natural nails to qualify for that record. These are acrylics."

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Whatever. Just keep those weapons away from me."

"I think they're nice." Patience said sweetly.

Patience was finishing her makeup while Patience and I got dressed. Halfway suited up, I danced downstairs to Panic! At The Disco and grabbed my phone from the kitchen island counter. My mom sat there, a glass of wine in front of her and bag of white cheddar popcorn in hand.

"You know, mom..." I started.

"I know, I know...I just wouldn't want to burden anyone." She mumbled.

I sighed. My mom still hasn't completely recovered from her rough divorce with Quince's dad a few months ago, who she thought was sticking around forever. Unfortunately, he only felt that way with his liqueur cabinet and his son. It tore her beautiful heart in half, and made me blood thirsty. The dude was a total dick.

A few weeks ago, she met a great guy, Jason, at a rock concert. He's a momma's boy with a gorgeous golden retriever, Cooper, and a baby son named Brayden. Jason pampers the hell out of both his dog, son, and my mom. They've been going on dates every now and then since.

I'm really happy she's finding someone new, especially someone so hard-working and willing to date a single mom. However, he had invited her out tonight, but she politely declined. She's still struggling.

"You wouldn't, mom. Why would he invite you if he thought you would burden anyone?"

She looked down at and wiped the lip stain on her glass. "It's just hard."

My heart went out to her. My mom is a beautiful woman with an amazing personality. She's thirty-nine with silk-smooth cocoa skin, manicured hands and pedicured feet, questionable but unique style, and wild, dark brown hair. She's my hero.

"I know, mom."

Before I could announce my leaving, she sat up straight. "What about yoy, Daya? Are you doing okay?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Of course. Why?"

She looked past me, then back to my eyes. "You just have seemed a bit off the last week or so. Nothing's bugging you?"

My eyes widened at her knowledge of my change in behavior. Sure, I was being a little cautious after being followed home every day, but nothing had come from it so I knew I must've just been overthinking it. I thought that I was subtle about my worries, but I guess I wasn't.

"N-No, nothing. Everything's fine." I spat out, not wanting to concern her with my paranoia.

She narrowed her eyes, but then smirked. "It's Jesse, isn't it?"

I coughed loudly, caught off-guard by her bold assumption that there was anything between us. She'd always secretly tried to push us together, but I always managed to convince her that we were friends and nothing more. We just had a connection that most people didn't understand.