Chapter Five: Suspicious Messages

March 5th, 2019

        THE GOLDEN SUN was lowering over the horizon at just a little later than six-thirty. I was camping out in my backyard, enjoying the view by myself and desperately trying not to pick up my phone.

Don't call him. He's probably busy. Don't call him. He may be with her. Don't call him. He doesn't want you.

The thought of Mariah made me squirm. She was just too much, and had lost my respect far before she cheated on Jesse. However, dealing with her would be worth it if it meant I got to talk to Jesse- to get some sort of comfort after being followed home for the second time by the same old car.

The last of the honey-sweet arms stretched over the Earth as if hugging everyone and wishing them a good night's sleep. How could I have been on edge with such a beautiful view? I told myself that everything was fine, that the Lexus was probably just another student who lived in the same neighborhood as me and just happened to leave school at the exact same time.

I closed my eyes to take in the moment properly, but was quickly pulled back into the real world by a startling noise.

"Geeeeet your aaaaass uuuup and answeerrrrrr your phooooone for meeeeee."

I glanced at my phone, debating on picking it up. Finally, I sighed and grabbed it.

"Did you change my ringtone for you again?" I answered.

"What? No. You think I would invade in your personal property like that? I'm so hurt that you don't trust me."

"Cut the bullshit."

Jesse chuckled melodiously. I silently took in his carefree laughter, trying so hard to memorize it incase it would ever be stolen from me.

"Alright, you got me, I'm sorry. But, uh, I've been meaning to tell you something."

"Is it about you breaking into my phone?"

"Well, yeah, actually, it is. But it's more-so about what I found on your phone."

I stood up, worry already settling in.

Did he see something he wasn't supposed to? Please don't let this be happening...

"You looked through my stuff?!" I accused, quickly losing my calm.

"No, no, I didn't. I promise that I went straight to my contact. But, uh, while I was doing that, you got a text from someone....and not a friend or family member. At least, I think." He said.

"Okay, what'd they say?" I asked.

"Um....He started with, 'hello, Daya. I've been meaning to talk to you.' Or something like that. So I was curious and kind of detecting suspicion and I texted back asking who it was. He told me his name was Ethan in a creepy way and that he was sorry for texting you on a different number. And then he asked why you blocked the first one."

Though I was slightly annoyed that Jesse had responded to my messages, I was more confused about the stranger trying to contact me. Why the hell was Ethan texting me? And how did he know that I blocked him?

"Uh, that's weird, okay. Go on."

"So I told him I didn't know who he was."

"Do you remem-"

"Yeah, I remember the 'Ethan' guy. And I think this is hella sketchy."

"It is." I agreed.

"Anyways, I told him that and he said that he was upset that you didn't remember him. And he went on about how meaningful he thought your conversation on the phone was."