Chapter four

Chapter four

It's twelve days since I found out about the killing tht will happen and the tensions been building up. Half the kids in my class have been home with their family, hiding from the Capitol. I don't think I'd manage at home. Hours of time on my hands and continuous awful thoughts popping into my head. at least school keeps me occupied from the horrors. Tabby has been at school still but whenever anyone mentions Snow or death she breaks down in tears, screaming her mums name. I try to look after her but she fights me off. She is so scared by the Capitol that she can't stand to communicate and get her feelings out. I understand but it still hurts all the same.

Kate has become curious and I have no idea what to tell her. she asks me what the people at school are talking about and why everyone's so scared. I truly don't want to scare or upset her but she's a tough girl and I guess it's time she knew.

After school I take her into my room and lock the door. She looks at me with a look of confusion. I sit her on my bed and think about how to start. should I tell her about Snow's plans? Or the killings? Or..... Suddenly it all comes out in a rush of words and I'm staring sadly into her little face. She doesn't react at first. she only looks at me then she stares down at her lap and I can see she's holding back tears. I don't blame her. Not only does this make her consider that SHE could be killed but it also brings back aching memories of Dad and war. I put my arm around her as she cries into my neck. I whisper into her ear- "Kat, it's ok. you'll be fine. I won't let them lay a finger on you. Just don't tell mum about this. she's very sad."

I feel Kate nod and I pull away.