Chapter five- the news

Everyone at school is worriedly muttering to each other about when the killing games will be held. Some say it must be soon be others, especially the ones with hope, say it could be months away

One early Saturday morning, Kate awakes screaming from a dream but Mum is too deep in slumber to get up so I tiptoe down the hallway to Kate's room where she is sitting up in bed, drenched in her own sweat. I hold her close as she softly sobs into my cotton pajamas and tell her everything's gonna be fine. I wish I could say that with truth but assuring Kate is the bet I can do.

How much I try, Kate will not go back to sleep and when she does she immediately wakes up crying. I, quietly, take her to lounge and close the door behind us. I make her a cup of warm goats milk and check the time. 5:45. Not much point going to sleep as we'd have to get up in an hour so we sit and quietly talk until at 6:08 the TV buzzes to life. I shudder as the grim face of President Snow fills the screen. Kate lets out a muffled sob and snuggles her face into my shoulder. I put my arm around her bony shoulders and bare the horrors of the television as the President begins to speak. "Recently I mentioned the fact that I will be holding a type of games called The Hunger Games. I didn't give many details or the date of the reaping to select people for the games. So now I will announce the date of the Reaping." He opened a perfect piece of ppaper " The First Annual Hunger Games will be held in June the 12th."

As the words sink in I firstly feel my throat tighten and a sob get caught in my throat then I feel Kate quietly howling into my chest.

June the 12th. Dad's Birthday and four days from now.