Chapter 14- Elizabeth

Chapter Fourteen

Elizabeth

Dr. Claire Hawke

My every muscle aches from dance and from wearing a twenty-five pound chicken costume while holding a huge "House of Chicken" sign at the mall's entrance for two hours straight. I stretch my arms high above my head, working out the kinks in my neck and biceps, as I round the corner to our little cul-de-sac.

Frogs croak their mating calls in the nearby grass and crickets chirp a lulling symphony. I let their music sink into me, extend my arms, and ease into a pirouette. I stumble.

Maybe I should stop before I break my neck on this terrible dirt road.

Instead of dancing, I look up into the night sky, my eyes going from star to star.

On a night like this, how are you supposed to know where to look?

A while back, Ran said that whenever we look at the stars we're seeing glimmers of the past because the light that's only just now reaching our eyes has already happened on the star's end.

I catch sight of a falling star and stop walking to watch it. If wishing on a star actually did any good, I'd wish that I knew exactly what I should do once I graduate—there are just so many choices. I don't want to make the wrong one.

I could use my dancing scholarship or I could focus on a career as a chef or I could maybe do something with my writing ... though I don't think I'm all that good at writing.

I sigh and watch the falling star fade from view. Once it's gone, I continue on to our trailer.

... If I make the wrong decision, I could end up like my mom.

I bite the inside of my cheek and shift my book bag on my aching shoulders.

It's not that I don't have mad respect for everything Mom does for our family, but I don't want a dead end life. And when you're poor like we are that's what one bad decision can lead to- a complete dead end.

I turn my attention to our trailer and there's an expensive looking SUV parked out front.

I come to a halt, my heart flip-floping in my chest.

Who's in our house with Dad?

My thoughts return to Dr. Hawke and her little meet-up with him at the mall. I clench my fists and head to our front door, a stress headache already forming at my temples.

As I approach, it sounds like Dad's already on the verge of doing what I intend to. I pause mid-stride and listen through a crack in the partially opened door.

"Leave!" Dad shouts, his footsteps shaking the entire trailer as he approaches the door. "You have no right to show up here when I've already told you I'm out!"

"Hal." Dr. Hawke's voice is as calm as ever. I tense, but inch closer to the door so I can hear her, "... no reason to be afraid. Even Unseen will react to this, trust me."

I stare at our door as I try to wrap my head around her words.

Even Unseen will react to this. React to what?

"How do you know?" Dad snaps. "Did you test it on him yourself?"

"I can't catch Unseen," Dr. Hawke says, a tinge of impatience creeping into her tone. "That's why we need you. Unseen follows your every move, and I—"

"You want to use me as bait so you can get to your precious superhero."

"Hal-"

"Just admit it! You want me to risk my life for your little science project," Dad shouts.

I gasp, a wave of understanding washing over me: Dr. Hawke is asking my dad to trap Unseen.

I shake my head simply to clear it.

This is crazy. Why would Dr. Hawke want to trap Unseen?

"Not just for a science project," Dr. Hawke says, speaking quickly. "For a half a million dollars. Think about your family, about your wife not having to work at that—"

Without another thought, I plow through the front door and walk past Dad. He turns to me in surprise as I lock eyes with Dr. Hawke. "Get out!" I continue towards her. In my heels I'm at least 5'9, which is several inches taller than she is. And considering the surge of protectiveness that's pushing me towards her like an unstoppable train, I don't blame Dr. Hawke for leaping out of my way.

She rushes out so quickly that some of her white-blond hair falls out of its messy bun as she darts out of our front door.

"Stay away from my family!" I shout before slamming our door so hard the entire trailer shakes.

My head pounding and my ire so Level 10 that my pits are starting to sweat, I turn to Dad and his eyes are wide.

His lips twitch and he starts to chuckle. I roll my eyes and slide my backpack off.

"Her face," he says in between uncontrollable chuckles. "Did you see the look on her face?"

"Dad, please." I shake my head while he bellows with laughter, the shake of his beer belly reminding me of Mr. Krabs from Spongebob Squarepants.

But I can't laugh.

"Don't do it, Dad," I say. "Don't do what she's asking."

He stops laughing and meets my eyes. He clears his throat and folds his arms, glancing left as he says, "'Course I won't." He gulps, his Adam's apple moving up and down in his throat.

I wait for my dad to find the courage to look me in the eye.

He doesn't.

I open my mouth to tell him he's a horrible liar when he says, "And not a word to your mom about any of this, all right?"

Without waiting for my response, he claps me on the shoulder and heads to his room, his heavy footsteps shaking the trailer.

I start after him. "Dad!"

"Not now, Liz," he says, as he shuts his door.

Cursing under my breath, I duck into my room and throw my things down before collapsing back on to my bed.

A half a million dollars ... I know my dad. He won't be able to pass that up.

He's going to cave and I've got to stop him.