Chapter 20- Elizabeth

Chapter Twenty

Elizabeth

E Schemes like a Fiend

I watch a fat raindrop, one of many, slide down the bus window. Beyond the rain, the moon is as blurry as one of those Monet paintings I learned about in last year's art class.

And it's a perfect reflection of how I feel. My thoughts are fuzzy and scattered in that I know what I have to do, but I don't know how to do it.

Somehow, I have to warn Unseen about everything Dr. Hawke and my dad are planning. But how do you go about finding a person who's so elusive that their very name is "Unseen"?

Sighing, I run my index finger over my left eyebrow, a stress headache forming at my temples.

Today's been rough between everything me and Mark heard to having to wear that stupid chicken costume for four straight hours. I don't know if I even have the brain power to come up with a plan.

The bus's breaks squeal as Ms. Tina hollers, "Club Dixie, last stop for Club Dixie."

She always shouts when we get to this stop, reason being most of the people headed to the club are already too drunk to notice where we are.

While the guy occupying the seat ahead of mine stumbles to his feet, slurring, "Wait, that's me, Tina. I'm coming," I glance out of my window.

Club Dixie is nestled in between the south end of Swamp Rose Mall and a patch of trees that outline the border of Aldoph Towers- our town's fancy high rise apartments. The small club's lights are bright and its parking lot is full.

I hate the place but I'm Hal O'Brien's daughter and Mia Reeve's best friend, meaning I probably know pretty much every piece of scum in there, from the lecherous businessmen to the wanna-be thugs.

While I'm watching a girl in an ugly red mini make her way across Club Dixie's parking lot, an idea comes to life in my tired brain. Without a second thought, I grab my things and follow the drunk guy off of the bus, both of us headed to the club.

If I want to get Unseen's attention, I'm going to need two things: one of Club Dixie's wanna-be thugs, and the guts to do something really stupid.