Session Twelve

"Did somebody call you?" Smitty asks me.

"Yeah," I say, glancing to the side, not wanting to make eye contact.

"What did they say?"

"The ingredients that go into making a fusion bomb," I reply. I take a drink of my Coke.

"They gave me a time," he says. "In military time."

"What was it?"

"Eleven eleven," he tells me. "Didn't give am or pm, though."

"We need a date," I clear my throat. "They want us dead. It's clear why they want to kill me. But you? That's something only they know."

"Fill me in on who they are."

"Iris is my boyfriend's ex," I say. "The guy she's with is in prison for sexual assault."

"How does the guy know you?"

"I'm one of his victims," I swallow. I glance down at my phone to check the time and see a text from Christine asking where I am. Almost immediately, she calls me and I stand up from my seat to step outside.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask.

"Where are you?" she asks me.

"Out talking to Smitty about this situation."

"Dude, why?"

"Because somehow he's involved in this entire mess," I say. "Honestly, nobody is safe."

"Well I know that," Christine sighs. "He's a bitch though. Be careful."

"That's a known fact," I laugh. I glance inside at Smitty, seeing him standing up and throwing his food away. "Want me to come home?"

"That would be most appreciated," she says. "Just tell him something came up."

"Alright," I say into the phone. I hang up and step back inside and Smitty walks over to me. "Hey, something came up, my sister needs me."

"Want me to drive you home?"

"I-Uh, no," I shake my head, slightly nervous. "I'll call an Uber."

"Dude, careful," he chuckles. "You've heard those shitty stories from K-Zoo."

"I'd rather have an Uber driver murder than me instead of getting blown up," I sigh.

"It's your choice," he shrugs. "What would Jamie think?"

"He'd rather I walk if he couldn't pick me up," I tell him. "He'd fuck you up if he came here."

"Well, I'd like for both of us to stay alive."

"What if one of us faked our death?"

"Cecilia Anderson," Smitty puts his sunglasses on. "How much Shakespeare have you read lately?"

"Wow," I roll my eyes. "But seriously, they clearly want us dead. Imagine word gets out one of us is dead. But we'd be in hiding pretending to bite the dust."

"You're a strange one Anderson," he snickers. "Hope it works."

"Rule one, Smitty," I scoff. "Don't try to flirt with me."

"Hey hey," he puts his hands up. "You're a great girl and all but I know you belong to Jamie."

"Thank you," I reply. "But really, I do need to get going. I'll see you later."

I turn on my heel and crack my knuckles, feeling bothered. Why does it have to be him involved in this whole mess? Clearly he's going to try to get into my love life.