5.

December 24, 25 years old

Aspen was sitting with her fiancé on a park bench, enjoying a cup of coffee, admiring the lights of the Christmas trees scattered all around the park. She was laughing at a joke he had made and leaning into his chest. She had continued to invite Jake into her apartment and have longer conversations with him every Christmas Eve. No one else had believed her about Jake Frost's annual visits and it was difficult for her to be taken seriously after she had explained it to some of her coworkers.

"Then Linda of all people tried to tell me to grow up!" Aspen said defensively. "She really thought," She said, crossing her legs and flipping her long curls.

"Why don't you just leave the office?" Her fiancé, Liam, asked.

"This is the only job I could find and I actually love it there besides Linda and her prissy ass," Aspen rolled her eyes.

"Who's prissy ass?" She heard and looked up. There he was, Jake Frost, with a puzzled look on his face. She pretended to look at the fountain in the center of the park as she sighed, "Linda, man. I wish she worked on the other floor." Jake nodded and sat down in midair, floating.

"I know, sweetheart," Liam sighed and kissed the top of her head, bringing her closer to him. "Ready to go back home?" He asked, getting up off the bench. Aspen nodded and they began to walk back with their arms around each other, cold breathes creating little clouds when they exhaled.

They walked down the block, window shopping and having casual conversation. She looked around at all the people doing last minute Christmas shopping and the carolers outside grocery stores working for donations. They reached their apartment and unlocked the door. Jake appeared inside already laying down on the couch, "Finally! I thought I had to wait till next year," He teased. Liam went to their bedroom to change and she stayed in the living room to talk to him.

He looked down at her hand, "I see he proposed." Aspen nodded, "It was where we first met, he asked with fifty roses. It was the most extravagant thing I ever experienced."

This caused a small tug in Jake's heart. He frowned, not quite understanding what was so appealing about fifty roses, he could give her a hundred roses. "I didn't think he'd ask, but I'm happy if you're happy," he looked up at her with a grin. Aspen nodded with a small smile, "I think this is right. I can feel it this time."

Aspen had been proposed to before by a past boyfriend that was way over his head. Jake never had a good feeling about him but Aspen couldn't see it until he was on one knee after the seventh date. She had declined and Jake would tease her about it saying, "Don't get in over your head, remember Adam!"

"I miss you, Aspen," Jake said, seriously now.

"I miss you too, Jake. It's sad that I only see you once a year. I want to see you more."

He gave her a heartfelt smile as he stood up and hugged her. She wrapped her arms around him and took in the scent of mint and marshmallow. She didn't know quite exactly where the marshmallow came in but it was Jake, so it wasn't too unusual.

Jake stroked her hair, "I'll always be here, Aspen. Just remember that."

Liam walked into the kitchen, "Ready to make dinner, darling?"

"I'll be right there!" She yelled back. She turned back to Jake with a torn expression. He dropped his head down and smiled, "Go. I'm always here remember? I'll be here next year. I love you, Aspen."

She smiled and turned back to hug him again, "Thank you, Jake. I love you, see you next year." She didn't know why she was getting so emotional but a single tear fell down her cheek.

"Honey, where's the strainer?" Liam shouted from the kitchen.

"I have to go," she said and turned her back to Jake as she walked towards the kitchen. She turned back last time and he was gone.

Liam walked back into the living room. "Hey, honey- oh, look. It's snowing," he said, wrapping his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her head.