Chapter 13

‘...’ – speech in wolf form

“...” – speech in human form

Chapter 13

   Pain shot down my spine, and I cried out in pain as teeth pulled at my skin and forced me down to the ground. I forced my body up and pushed hard into the jaw of my attacker. He stumbled away but soon got a grip on the ground with his claws and snarled at me with glistening fangs and eyes, his tail held out for balance behind him.

   ‘Jasper!’ It was one name I never wanted to say in fear. My own brother had attacked me out of duty to his pack. To try and prove to him who I was, I ran in one quick circle and wagged my tail. With disbelief, his ears rolled back and he fell backwards onto his haunches with the shame of hurting his own sister. ‘Jasper, it’s me, L...’

   ‘Layla!’ he cried.

   ‘Jas, I forgive you.’ I tried pacing over to him but he shook his head in despair. The fighting was still going on behind me but I bade it no attention.

   ‘No, stay away. I don’t deserve to be your brother.’

   Blake pined behind me and I stepped back until I could stand over him protectively. ‘Jasper, you’re my brother and nothing will change that. I understand why you went for me; I don’t blame you.’ Someone yelped and Tyson rushed by to form up with his pack behind Jasper in the distance. Looking around for something to inspire ideas, I saw Blake’s pack line up in the opposite direction with fury and rage in their eyes. Finding myself in the middle of a battle that I now knew was inevitably going to happen someday; I just never believed it would happen so soon.

   ‘Blake, whatever happens,’ I whispered down to him and putting my head to his. ‘I’m not going to leave you.’

   He laid there, legs tucked in under his body; the bites over his body leaking blood over his pure white coat. ‘I know you won’t,’ he whispered back through gritted teeth.

   In a spontaneous wave of hope, I turned to my brother. ‘Jasper, please I need your help. I’m still you’re sister, and I still love you. Please!’

   His ears twitched as I begged with him. The two rival packs around us were bearing down on each other inch by inch and the tension cut through the air like the gunshot I heard not even a day ago. Bolting to his side, I pleaded with him more and he finally came round when he dawned on the fact that I wasn’t about to attack him.

   ‘Go to mum and dad and tell them I’m here. Please, this has gone on too long.’

   ‘Yes, Layla. I’ve missed you. I thought you were dead...’

   ‘There’s no time,’ I yelped. ‘Just find mum and dad.’ I watched as he went to our parents. In my haste to stop the fight before anyone else got hurt, I jolted around and ran to Kai. ‘Kai, please! Stop, please.’ It was no good.

   ‘No, they’re on our land and have attacked my son! Do not tell me that I should not fight them.’

   I had to stand fast and fight my submissive instincts, though it pained me to be doing this, I pushed forward. ‘Kai, please. Blake can’t lose his father! He’s not ready to take your place. I know Tyson, he won’t stop until you or he is dead. Please, I beg you not to fight them.’

   Barking sounded and I spun round again, my heart paused for five seconds as I saw Jasper was leaning over Blake, but to my relief he stood over him as I had before. Then my eyes were drawn to two other wolves that were slowly heading over towards me. My mother and father.