Chapter 8: Encounter

Marinette's POV

Marinette's POV

“Good job.” I fist bumped Chat Noir as we always did when we defeated an akumatized victim. I smiled at him, then widened my eyes as his ring beeped. “You need to go!”

“I still have a few pads left.” Chat tried to say before I also realized that I didn’t know where Adrien was.

Where was he? I had seen him during the fight with the akuma, but didn’t know if he was safe.

“I need to find him!” I said, my eyes full of worry. “I need to make sure he’s ok!”

“Who?” Chat asked, tilting his head slightly. “Is someone in danger?”

“I don’t know…” I said. “I just need to check on him.”

“Who?”

“Adrien. Adrien Agreste.” I said. I turned away and made my way to the park, the last place I had seen him.

“Adrien!” I called out, perching on top of the fountain. Where was he? Maybe he went home?

I jumped and swung from rooftop to rooftop from the park to the Agreste mansion. I looked everywhere, feeling more worried as time went on with no sign of him.

Relief washed over me as a huge wave when I saw him walking out of an alley. Thank goodness…

I immediately lowered myself from a streetlamp, hanging upside down in front of him. I felt a slight blush cover my cheeks, and was glad it was hidden by my mask.

“Ladybug?” Adrien stopped walking and stared at me in surprise. I noticed his cheeks redden, which made my own heat up. “What are you doing here?”

“I… I wanted to make sure you were ok.” I said, lowering myself from the lamp and standing in front of him. “I saw you during the akuma attack.”

Adrien ran a hand through his hair nervously. “Yeah…” He said quietly. “Yeah, I’m ok. Thanks.”

I stared into his eyes for a moment, and he stared back, both of us turning a soft shade of red. I blinked and looked away when my earrings beeped.

“Sorry,” I chuckled nervously. “I should go.”

“Yeah…” He said with a small smile. “It was nice to see you.

We both stared at each other for another moment, until my earrings beeped again. My eyes widened as I began to detransform back into my civilian form.

No no no no no no no no!  I covered my face with my hands as if that would conceal my identity.

"Ladybug?" Adrien asked. I heard nervousness in his voice. He knows... He knows... He knows...

"Y-yeah, A-Adrien?" I asked. My voice shook with anxiety.

"You need to go." He said. "I can't know who you are."

I peeked through my fingers and silently gasped. Adrien had closed his eyes! "You don't know who I am?" I asked quietly.

"I know you don't want me to." He said, eyes still closed. "I'll let you keep your identity secret."

He's so sweet! I blushed softly and leaned in to kiss his cheek. "Thank you, Adrien."

I saw his face deeply redden, which made my own face turn a dark red. I turned and ran off, turning down the nearest street.

I leaned against the side of the building and sighed.

"Wow." Tikki giggled. "That was nice of him."

"Yeah," I said, peeking around the corner of the building to see him. He had opened his eyes and was looking around.

I let out a sigh and looked at Tikki, who had flown out of my bag to hover next to my head. "Tikki, I think it's time to get home."

When I got home, I walked up to my room. I wrote in my diary about my encounter with Adrien, blushing as I did so.

"Girl!"

I looked up to see Alya pushing her way through the trap door leading to my room, and climbing in. "Hey Alya." I sighed.

"What's up?" Alya asked.

"Oh, umm..." I knew I couldn't tell my friend without revealing that I was Ladybug. "Nothing."

"Mmhmm." Alya raised an eyebrow unbelievingly. "Alright. Anyways, have you seen my new post on the LadyBlog?"

I shook my head. "Not yet." I smiled. "What was it?"

"I think I've found out who Ladybug's crushing on!" Alya said excitedly. "It's not necessarily good for you..." She added. "Or Chat Noir."

I smirked slightly. I was interested in finding out who my alter ego was crushing on. "Oh really?" I asked. "How so?"

"Marinette," Alya said, turning on her phone. "I think Ladybug likes Adrien."

I turned a little red as Alya showed a video of me, Ladybug, perched on the fountain calling out for Adrien.

"Mari," Alya said, putting her phone away, and placing her hands on my shoulders. "I'm sorry, but how can you compete to Ladybug?"

I couldn't hold back a laugh. "I'm sorry, Alya..." I giggled, thinking about how to cover up. "I'm sure it'll be fine."

"But she's Ladybug!" Alya said. "I don't know how you could win Adrien over her."

My eyes widened and my smile faded. "Are... You saying that Adrien likes L-Ladybug?" I asked.
Alya nodded. "Nino's told me that he is pretty much obsessed with her." As she talked, I blushed a deep red, which intensified with every word my friend spoke. "Always checking the LadyBlog, mutters and daydreams about her, and she's a common topic for the two to talk about."

"No way..." I grinned. My face was flushed. "Wow..."

"I know it's a lot to take in, but I'm sure Adrien will like you too." Alya said, not noticing my grin. "I just felt you should know."

"Thanks for telling me, Alya." I hugged her friend. I didn't quite believe her thoroughly, but it made me feel confident. If this is true, then I shouldn't be scared to talk to him!

"How are you taking this so well?" Alya asked. "I was sure you'd be devastated! Adrien, your 'love', is in love with another girl, and not just any girl, Ladybug!"

I smiled and giggled slightly at her concern. Perhaps the time has come...

"Alya, there's a secret I've been keeping from you." I said, pausing for dramatic effect.

"I'm Ladybug."