Chapter 13: Embarrassment

Adrien's POV

Adrien's POV

I had fallen for Marinette. I couldn't deny it any longer. I knew part of my heart would always belong to Ladybug, but I had to face it. Marinette was the one for me.

The words on her card had been blurred with tears, but I was able to make a few. Adrien, love you, scared, understand, don't return, feelings.

I could guess that she was confessing her love, explaining how scared she had been to do it, and telling me she understands if I don't return her feelings.

How could I not? Marinette was truly an amazing girl, and I've been so blessed to call her my friend for so long. I just hoped that I would be able to admit it to her that I felt the same.

I eagerly awaited her next attempt, my second chance. I made sure that Chloe was nowhere near me, and that I was always alone or with Nino.

One day, I couldn't contain myself. I was overthrown by my weakness. She was my weakness.

She walked through the front doors of the school building, catching my eye. Lately, she has been wearing some of her personally designed outfits, and oh boy was she talented.

This particular outfit made my breath catch in my throat. Black jeans with green paw print designs on the front pockets, a plain green shirt, and a black jean jacket with green words written in small print on the back.

Clearly this style was Chat Noir themed. I was flattered. She actually designed an outfit after me?

Not only did the outfit itself look amazing, she looked amazing.

I couldn't believe I acted like that when I first saw her. Nino and I were sitting on a bench outside of the library as we waited for class to start.

We had been chatting about the usual. Chat Noir, Ladybug, Alya... Yep. We have been talking about Alya more ever since our game of truth or dare.

I first heard Alya's voice. I don't remember what she had been saying now, but I had a feeling Marinette was with her.

I looking up with a smile, and my heart practically stopped. My smile faded into a look of surprise. I didn't expect to see her in a Chat Noir themed outfit!

As she walked closer I knew my face was turning red. There was no way I could push it away.

I covered my face with my hands, but I knew it wasn't working. I knew Nino noticed because I heard him chuckle.

"Dude, what's with you today?" He asked.

I gave him a look telling him to shut up. If Nino had seen my blush, she was definitely going to as well.

My eyes flickered to Marinette who was still a little ways away with Alya. The way she laughed at something Alya said killed me.

I looked back at Nino and his red ball cap caught my attention. I quickly snatched his hat off his head and put it on my own. I slumped back on the bench and pulled the bill down to cover my eyes.

I kept both hands on the hat in hope my face would be hidden. Thankfully, Nino didn't say anything.

There was a moment of silence before I heard Alya talking to Marinette once more. I took off the hat and sighed with relief.

"Dude, what the heck is wrong with you?" Nino asked me.

I gave him a confused look, then noticed Marinette and Alya turn a corner just before they did so, I saw Alya with an arm around Marinette who had been hanging her head low. I instantly knew she was upset.

"What happened to Marinette?" I asked.

"You." Nino said. "You happened. Will you please explain to me why you just ignored her like that?"

"I wasn't ignoring her!" I said defensively.

"She was about to say something to you, but you were too busy hiding yourself to see that." Nino said. He didn't sound angry, or confused. He sounded concerned. "You never act like this. What's going on?"

"I... Er..." I tried to talk, but I couldn't form the words. My head was racing. Was Marinette going to tell me her feelings? Why did I have to act so stupid? How would I make this up to her?

I hung my head in defeat, not knowing how to explain myself.

"Go." Nino told me with an amused, small smile. "Go talk to her."

I looked at Nino with surprise. "How did you-"

"Dude..." He gave a small laugh. "I know that look you've been giving her lately."

I was too stunned to speak. I felt my face growing hot once more.

"Might be cheesy, but that's how Chat Noir looks at Ladybug." He told me. "And everyone knows that he's in love with her."

I.... Love Marinette?

"I gotta go." I stood up and pretty much ran in the direction the girls were headed.

I saw Alya standing outside the girls' restroom. I knew instantly that Marinette was in there.

I stood next to Alya and leaned my head back against the wall. "I'm sorry..." I muttered.

"You shouldn't be apologizing to me, Agreste." Alya said. I gave her a confused look because she sounded amused. Her eyes sparkled as if she was holding back laughter, which really surprised me.

"I... Know...?" My response sounded like a question, but I was questioning her. Why was she not mad at me for making her best friend upset?

"This..." She said looking at the door. "This is nothing new. She makes the card, works up her courage, tries to take action, but always freaks in the end."

I knew she was talking about Marinette confessing her feelings, but what surprised me the most was two words. Always happens.

"It's been a relentless cycle for as long as I can remember." She continued. "I suppose since that day she got hold of that black umbrella of yours."

"My... Umbrella?" My first day of school? The day I was able to call her a friend? The day I fell for Ladybug?

"And she still has it." Alya snickered. "You clearly haven't noticed, but she's been trying to tell you something ever since then."

"Face it, Adrien. The girl's in love with you."