Chapter 4: Macaroons

Marinette's POV

Marinette's POV

"That's ok!" I said quickly. "Y-you don't have to s-show us."

I was slightly disappointed, but I didn't want to force him. Adrien seemed to let out a sigh of relief.

"So..." Nino said. "Can you at least tell us a little more about this 'cat'? What's it like?"

I was happy to see Adrien give a small smile. "Honestly, he's a pain in the neck."

I was surprised to hear that. Adrien chuckled as he looked at me. "Why do you say that?" I asked.

"He is so picky with his food, always hungry, and complains about almost everything." Adrien said.

I gave a small laugh. "What's his name?"

"Plagg." Adrien said. "A small black cat. I guess more of a kitten in size."

I put a hand over my pink purse when I heard Tikki gasp. I sighed in relief. No one noticed.

After a few more truths and dares, the sun was lowering to hide behind the many buildings in the city.

"Alright, Adrien." Alya said. He had chosen dare. "I dare you to tell your crush that you love her the next time you see her."

Adrien shrugged. "Ok." He suddenly opened his bag and glared into it. He looked at everyone and said, "Sorry, guys. Plagg's hungry."

"Y-you had him with you?" I asked as Adrien stood to leave.

"I always have him with me."

That's so sweet! I smiled at the thought. "You must really care about him."

"Yeah," Adrien said. "Yeah I do." I watched Adrien begin to walk towards his house.

Wait... I remembered his reaction to the dare. He.. He likes someone else? Tears began to form in my eyes.

"I have to..." I said, my voice a little shaky. I felt a tear run down my cheek. I turned to face the direction of my house and bolted, not looking back to see what Alya or Nino thought.

I ran blindly, tears clouding my eyes. The purse containing Tikki bounced madly with each step. I'm sorry, Tikki...

All I knew was that Adrien liked someone else, and I had to get home. I didn't notice Adrien in front of my, or as I ran passed. I didn't even hear him call out my name.

After slamming the bakery door shut, I hurried up the stairs to my room. I ignored my parents trying to comfort me, even though they didn't know what happened.

"Marinette..." A soft voice sounded as soon as I shut myself in my room. I flung myself on my bed and sobbed into my pillow. "Oh, Marinette..." The soft voice said. It was full of worry and concern.

"He likes someone else, Tikki." I cried. "I was so stupid... To think... He..." I couldn't talk any longer. I was crying too hard.

"Marinette, you aren't stupid!" Tikki exclaimed. "He is for not returning your feelings!"

"Why should he like me?" I looked at Tikki with red, puffy eyes.

"Snap out of it!" Tikki said. "Why should he not like you? You're smart, beautiful, and very talented, for starters!" I scoffed as my kwami told me I was 'beautiful'.

"Marinette?" At the sound of my father's voice, I sat on my bed, wiping the tears away.

"Yeah?" I called back.

"Will you come down and help with the macaroons?"

I forgot. I stood up. "Yeah, I'll be right down!" I still felt devastated, but didn't cry anymore. I can't force him to like me.

I walked back down stairs and into the kitchen. My father was taking macaroons out of the oven, and placing them on cookie racks to cool.

"Glad you're here to help." My father said. "Will you put the macaroons into boxes once they're cooled off?"

I nodded, glancing at the light brown boxes he was talking about. I picked one up and set it on the counter next to the cookies.

When the first batch was cool enough to touch, I began to place the macaroons into the box. Green in a row, purple in a row, and pink in a row.

My mind wandered to Adrien as usual. This time was different. Instead of feeling lovesick as I normally had, I felt devastated. My eyes watered.

He'll never like me. Why did I think I had a chance? Of course he would like someone else.

A tear ran down my cheek as my father left to buy ingredients for later orders. Tikki flew out of hiding. Quickly, the little kwami wiped away my tear.

"Marinette, please don't cry." She told me. "He's not worth it."

"But he is, Tikki!" I exclaimed. "He's perfect... And me... I'm just Marinette."

"Marinette, don't say that." Tikki said. "You're amazing! It's his problem for not seeing that."

"That makes it my problem. I wish he liked me as much as I like him."

"Don't give up!" Tikki said, giving my cheek an encouraging hug. "It might still happen!"

"Better not get my hopes up too high." I sighed. "But maybe you're right. Why couldn't he like me?"

"That's the spirit!" Tikki said excitedly. "Just tell him that you like him and-"

"No!" I said quickly. "You know I can't do that!"

"Marinette," Tikki said. "He might only see you as a friend because he may think that you only see him as a friend. You've got to be honest with him!"

I was now on the last box. I neatly put all the cookies in, one at a time and was taking them to the stack of full boxes. "Alright," I said. "I think I will tell-"

I was interrupted by a loud crash upstairs.

"GAAAAAH!" I tripped as I walked to the other boxes. The sudden loud noise had scared me. Green, purple, and pink macaroons lay scattered across the floor.

"Oh, Marinette..." Tikki said, her voice full of sympathy. "I'll help you." The kwami flew to the cookies and started to put them back into the open box.

I looked up to the ceiling. "Don't worry about that now, Tikki." I said, standing up and heading up the stairs. "We need to find out what that was."

I tiptoed up the stairs, listening for any other sounds. Nothing but silence.

I cautiously and slowly pushed on the trapdoor to my room, and peeked through the small opening. Nothing.

I walked to the stairs in my room leading to my balcony and slowly climbed them. Again, I peeked through the trap door, making a small opening. I let out a gasp. 

No way! Why would he be here? Why now?

Curiosity surged through me. I flung the trapdoor open and climbed onto my balcony.

"Hey, Marinette. I'm sorry that I-"

My wide eyes narrowed as I grew more suspicious of my visitor. I cut him off. "What are you doing here, Chat?"