A Friendly Gathering

"Perfect," I smile to myself. My home has never looked better...

 My home has never looked better

I look around and take it all in

I look around and take it all in. The table is perfect, the caterer is ready, there is soft music playing, champagne on ice, and everything is positively gleaming in the glow of candles and Christmas lights. This is what Christmas is, not a club thumping party, but a fun gathering of friends and family. Somewhere you can hear each other talk about the great times you've had together all year, and will have in the year to come. I chuckle to myself at my cheesiness. I feel like an old man inviting his kids over to visit. I'm already ready and pacing around with an hour before my guests arrive.
I check my watch for the thirtieth time and blow out a breath. I drop my hands and stare at the door. I'm silently willing the doorbell to ring when my phone beeps instead. I jump and fumble so hard I almost drop the damn thing. It's a text from Ji Yong...

I'm bored waiting. I'm coming now.

I do a quick little jig on the spot, and text him back that that's cool. He always calms me down when I'm nervous. I try to relax and have a seat only to drum my fingers on my legs and stare at my Christmas tree. I get out my phone and fiddle with it. I fidget and fuss with this and that until finally there's a knock at my door. I jump for the second time. I hop up, and smooth my clothes and hair.

I get to the door in just a few strides. I look through the peep hole and see Ji Yong. I fling it wide and beam at him. So glad that he's the first one to arrive.
"That was quick," I hug him and he comes in.
Ji walks in and glances around my home. He points here and there, then turns to me with a smirk.
"Who's the girl?"
I stand there and blink at him, "What do you mean?"
He gestures around, "This...this is not like you. Soooo, who's the girl?"
"Aish," I roll my eyes,"can't a man want something different?"
Ji claps me on the shoulder,"Of course," then gives me a knowing smile,"just usually not this man unless it's for a girl."
I brush his hand off and he snickers.
"Go have a seat. Do you want a drink?"
He falls into my leather couch,"No, I'm going to wait a bit for that."
I nod and put his coat away.

People start arriving, and every time the doorbell rings I jump. I keep answering. Finally, I answer the door to see Kathy smiling at me with Laurel behind her. I feel my heart jump into my throat.
"Hi Ri!"
Kathy gives me a hug, and I squeeze her back. I take the chance to hug Laurel. She gasps when I fold my arms around her, earning a little giggle. I let her go and she hands me a small Christmas box. I lead them into my home.
"What's this?"I ask with a smile.
Laurel gives me her shy smile.
"Eomma always says never come as an empty handed guest."
I open the box...

"Cookies?!" I snatch one out and bite it

She gives another giggle, "Hot cocoa cookies, I make them every Christmas."
I chew my bite, and pop the rest in my mouth before closing the box. She's watching me while her mother is on her tiptoes scanning the other guests.
I smirk at Laurel,"You make things like this, and have no boyfriend? That's a real shame."
"She makes them for me pretty boy!" Kathy pops her head in between us, "Now where is my JiYongie?"
She grins up at me. She looks so excited I have to chuckle at her.
"He's around here somewhere. I'll introduce you."
She takes the arm I offer her. I set the cookie box on the closest flat surface and offer Laurel the other arm. She takes it with a blush and I take a turn around the room introducing them to other guests. I see Ji chatting with Young Bae and his now fiancee Hyo Rin. I guide the ladies their way, and notice Kathy stops dead. I look down and see her eyes so wide I hope they don't pop out.
"Kathy...Kathy?" I snap my fingers in front of her eyes. Her breath hitches just a little before she looks up at me, a slow grin spreads across her face. All of a sudden I feel I'm being dragged to Ji Yong. I jump a bit and let her pull me. Reaching him, I tap his shoulder and he turns while taking a sip of his champagne.
"Ji, these are my friends Kathy and Laurel. Ladies this is Ji Yong."
He smiles and gives a slight bow, "Yeoboseyo, I've heard a bit about you. It's nice to meet you."
Kathy giggles and snaps her eyes down to her shoes. She blushes to maroon, "Umm, it's nice to meet you too. I really admire your music."
Before she knows it Ji ducks into her line of sight to make her look at him. She gives a little yelp and giggles. He straightens back up,"I'm up here."
She giggles again like a little girl and I nudge her with my elbow.
"I've lost you forever now, right?"
Kathy nods emphatically and Ji offers her his arm with that gummy smile he knows melts. Her jaw hits the floor, and she takes his arm with a shaky hand.
"I should tell everyone to head to the table. Dinner is starting in 5 minutes."
I rest my hand on the delicate one on my arm, "Will you sit with me? I believe you may have lost your partner for the evening."
She gives me a grin, "I believe you're right. I can't compete with GDragon."
I give her hand a light squeeze, "That just means I can steal you away right?"
Her cheeks flush again, and she nods with a smile.

We all go in to have a beautifully set and prepared Christmas dinner. I pull out a chair beside me for Laurel. I notice across from us Ji pulls one out for Kathy. I'm glad he's being so sweet to her. I knew he would be after I told him how much she's helped me. He's taking extra care of her, and I'm grateful. He gives me another of his knowing smiles. He always seems to know what I'm thinking. He sits beside Kathy and I see him turn on the charm. I snicker a little to myself. She's bubbling over with giddiness, it's adorable.

I look around the table as the catering staff brings out the meal. Just before everyone begins I stand to make a toast...

"To new friends, to old friends, and friends we've yet to meet, I'm thankful for you all and wish you the Merriest Christmas and Happiest of New Years."

Everyone cheers and takes a sip of wine before we enjoy the food. I take my seat and smile around at everyone. Everyone I love is in this room. I glance at Laurel, watching her mom talk animatedly to Ji. I blush when she catches me watching her. I'm not easily embarrassed at all, but this girl gets to me. I pluck up the guts and start chatting with her. She has a beautiful laugh. So I do my best to keep her laughing. She won't quite look me in the eye for long, and I hope it's only because she's shy. We both steal glances at Ji and Kathy. They're getting along famously, and now Kathy had him blushing instead of her. I knew she would get him going. He's going to love her like I do.

We all finish dinner and walk back into the living room. I stop Ji and Kathy, "Hey hyung look up."
He does and sees the mistletoe over his head. He turns beet red and starts covering his face.
"Oh no you don't!" Kathy takes his hands back down and hops up on her toes to give his lips a quick peck. Everyone watching laughs to see Ji turn maroon. He scurries away with Kathy close behind. I take a few steps forward until I'm under it. I turn to Laurel and smirk at her.
"You're not going to leave me hanging are you?"
I hold my hand out to her. She takes it with a bashful smile leaning forward. I'm surprised when she gives me a soft kiss that sends electricity through me. She's been so shy I almost expected her to duck away.

She breaks the kiss, and I look into her eyes. I can't imagine a better Christmas party than this. I hug her for the second time tonight, and say a little prayer that I get to do just this very thing far more often than only tonight.