First Date

Christmas comes and goes with the usual flurry of activity and bustle. December 26th is the happiest and the saddest day of the year for me. I love the Christmas season, but once it's over I'm a bit relieved. The new year is right around the corner. Since my car accident, caused by my irresponsibility, I see the coming year with fresh eyes. I've made new friends and better decisions. There's even a beautiful woman I have a date with tonight. I'm starting the new year with new beginnings.

I get myself ready for my morning appointment with Kathy. I hop around my home. I get to see a friend, and I have a date. I'm practically giddy with excitement. I dress down for my meeting. After all, it's not like Kathy hasn't seen me at my best. Now, she will just see me comfortable. I wear my, "Everything," tee-shirt, knowing she'll get a kick out of it. Daesung knocks on my door, and I fling it wide.
"Helloooo Daesung my man!"
Dae jumps a bit at my cheeriness,"Ummm...hi"
I skip to his car with his tiny suspicious eyes boring into the back of my head.
He climbs into the car after I do. I've already turned on his radio. I'm singing along to Red Velvet with enthusiasm when he gives my forehead a light smack.
"Ow! What the Hell Dae?" I rub my forehead.
"I'm glad you're feeling better, but you're getting on my nerves." He huffs out with a scowl.
"Aish! Fine!" I give him a mocking smile and stick my tongue out at him.

We get to the center and I squeeze out of the car into the alley as usual. I knock on the door, and the grinning Jae answers.
"Oh. Mr.Lee...ummm. I'm sorry we're going to have to cancel your appointment today." He gives a toothy smile.
"Oh!" I say a little surprised, "Is everything alright?"
Apprehension flickers across his plastered on smile,"I'm sorry, but that's all I can say."
He gives me a slight bow that I return and closes the door.
Daesung rolls down his window, "What's going on Ri?"
I turn to him, puzzling, "I'm not sure. You go on though. I'm going to stop for coffee, and make some calls."
He crinkles his face up, "You sure?"
I wave him on and he nods and drives away.

I look down at my phone, but decide to wait until I get to the coffee shop on the corner before I call. I walk myself down to the shop. The January wind is picking up, so I quicken my pace. That coffee will be heavenly after this biting breeze. I open the door with a jingle, and walk in to order an Americano. I find an out of the way sort of table and scroll through my contacts. Should I call Kathy or Laurel? Maybe text? I'll text.

Kathy are you standing me up now? We have a steady date ma'am.

I take a sip of my Americano and stare at my phone on the table. It's hot as lava, so I take the lid off and set it down. Nothing from my phone. I wait a moment, but patience isn't my best trait. I take another sip of my drink. Thankfully not as searing hot as the last. I pick up my phone just as it alerts...

I told you not to call me ma'am unless you're on your knees.

A smile spreads across my face.

I forgot. I must be upset from being stood up.

I get a response right away.

I didn't stand you up boy. Just not feeling myself.

My brows knit together.

Are you alright? Call me if you need anything.

👍I'll be fine Precious. Thank you.

I put my phone down and finish my drink with a sigh. Well, I have work appointments to keep, and I still have my date with Laurel tonight. I smile to myself. I'm sure it's nothing. I carry on with my day, and keep my spring in my step.

I finally finish my work, and rush home to get ready for my date. I'm so nervous. I can't believe I'm nervous. I don't get nervous. Well...not normally, but this is no ordinary date. This date is with an angel. I guess I sort of had a date with her already. She was with me most of the time at my dinner party, but we weren't alone. I have to pluck up my usual bravado. She's already shy enough for the both of us.
There's a knock at the door, signaling my ride is here. I smile into the mirror and wink.

The limo takes me to the address Laurel texted me. I still can't drive until my papers are signed, and what's the harm in trying to impress her anyway? I'm in the back fidgeting with my phone, checking my hair, playing with my fingers, until we pull into an apartment complex. I bound up the stairs until I reach the right floor and knock on the right door. It only takes a moment for Laurel to open the door and give me a slightly timid smile. I return with a confident smirk that causes her to giggle. That's it, if I wasn't smitten before I certainly am now. She's radiant when she laughs. I saw it at the party, but this laugh was just for me. I give a gentlemanly bow, "Good evening beautiful lady. Are you ready to go?"
Her smile fades a bit,"Seungri, I'm sorry. I meant to call sooner, but couldn't. Eomma isn't doing so well. I think I may need to stay with her."
"Kathy's that sick? Can I see her?"
Laurel looks over her shoulder then back to me, "Ok. Come on in."

I walk into their apartment to find that my friend is in a recliner with a massive tumbler of coffee. Her glasses are foggy from the steam, and she's in slouchy sweats. Kathy looks up at me a bit startled, and sputters on her coffee. I laugh at her, "You stood me up, and now you're taking my date?"
She brushes coffee from her shirt, "Boy I told her to go! She's the one worrying to much."
I look at Laurel and cock an eyebrow.
She ducks her head a little with a sheepish grin.
I look back to Kathy and stride forward to put a hand to her forehead, "You don't have a fever. What's wrong?"
She huffs and swats my hand away,"Of course not! I just have a cough and my heart is a little speedy. I'll take a breathing treatment and be fine."
Laurel frowns and puts her hands on her hips, "You didn't tell me about your heart. Have you been skipping your breathing treatments again?"
Kathy scowls and sips her coffee.
I look at Laurel for an explanation.
She shakes her head and gestures to her mother, "She had lung cancer a year ago, and it went away. She still takes breathing treatments though."
Kathy mouths, "shut up."
I narrow my eyes at Kathy, and pull out my phone. I look up the number of the restaurant I have a reservation for.
"What are you doing?" Laurel asks me gently placing a hand on my shoulder.
I smile, "Since you can't come to our date, I'm bringing our date to you. I'm not getting stood up twice today."

The restaurant delivers our meal and we all eat together. I feel like I'm on an old fashioned type date with a chaperone. After dinner, Laurel and I sit and talk in the living room while Kathy goes to bed. She's so beautiful in white. She really does look like an angel...

I grin at her and she blushes for the tenth time tonight

"Why do you keep blushing?" I ask taking her hand.
She just blushes redder, "When you smile at me like that...I can't help it."
I raise her chin with my other hand until she looks me in the eye.
"There's no need to be shy with me. It's adorable, but I really like you. I want you to be comfortable talking to me."
She smiles, "I like you too. I'm really surprised."
I make a little gasp, "What?!"
She giggles a little again. God I love her laugh. I smile so big I feel like my face is cracking.
"Mianhaeyo, you are just different from what I expected. In the best way though."
"In the best way?"
She nods, "You aren't what I thought. You're better." She blushes again and looks down at our hands laced together. I raise her chin again, but this time to kiss her lips. She puts her other hand on the back of my neck, and I pull her just a little closer to me. She melts into me, and that's when we hear it.
*THUMP*
We break apart and look toward Kathy's room.
"What was that?!" I ask Laurel, who has just turned white.
We both scramble to the door, but I get there first and fling it wide.

There is my friend on the floor of her room, gasping and holding her chest. I kneel beside her and shout over my shoulder to Laurel.
"Call an ambulance!"
I grab Kathy's hand and look into her panicked face.
"Hold on! Help is coming, just breathe!" I feel a tear escape my eye, and listen to Laurel's frantic call along with the gasping breaths of my friend.