Day Two- Part Two

Hefollowed Beth up to the Visitor's Desk, internally smiling, thinkingabout what might happen between the two on that day. Then hehesitated.

"Wait,you don't think the readers think I'm Dalziel again, because ifthat's the case they must be a bunch of fools to fall for it a thirdtime!" He said to himself, finishing off his/Imogen's popcorn.

"Shutup Zac, again, NO ONE will mistake you for Dalziel. Ever. And stopstealing my goddamn food!" Imogen informed him, snatching thepopcorn bag, only to find it empty. She looked up from the bag to seethe four-eyed fool run of towards the teachers, an area both Zac andImogen knew he was safe from her wraith.

Meanwhile,in the more interesting part of the story, Beth and Dalziel hadalready started to head up the hill to the lighthouse. Beth knew whatZac wanted her to do, but she didn't exactly feel proud of agreeingto his terms. She knew it would work, but she still felt bad fordoing it. Dalziel may be a bit of a sleaze, but underneath the cheesyexterior was a genuinely good person. And she was planning tobasically rob him. And she knew Zachariah knew when to pull out on ajob, but she also knew how close he had come to making one of themost disastrous calls anyone could have made. But he's got dirt onbasically everyone, so if he wanted to he could play God in thissituation. And she would bet a large sum that Zac would want to playGod. But then again, even if he did do so, he wouldn't be able toblackmail people into forgetting stuff. Like, for real.

"Beth,are you okay? You look worried." Dalziel asked, pulling Beth backinto reality.

"Wha-Oh, yeah, I'm fine. I've just had a tough few days." She replied.

Toughfew hours, more like.

"I'vejust been thinking about what we could do to make this camp more fun,that's all!" She continued.

Whatutter bullshit.

"So,do you want to go to the top of the lighthouse with me?" Shefinished.

Tobe honest, the thought of going up with you makes me want to curl upin a small ball and watch Netflix with some ice-cream and a smalldog.

SometimesBeth hated the fact she could hear her thoughts as if someone wastalking.

Canyou please move?

Reallyannoying.

Getout of the way!

Annoying...

"That'sit, I've asked nicely, and now here comes the thunder!" Chris said,pushing past Beth and Dalziel. "Later, Dall Zeel!"he called, jogging to the tower.

"Itspronounced Dee Ell!"Dalziel shouted, forgetting Beth was even there. He turn back to thegirl in question. "Oh, sorry if I was too loud. Sure, I would loveto go up with you!"

Bethears were still ringing from Dalziel's shout. "Great!" she said,moving her lips into what she hoped was a smile.

"Okaythen, let's pick up the pace then. We should try and get there beforethose idiots arrive," He said, gesturing to Levi and Zac, puffingand panting up the hill.

Bethinvoluntary giggled. Seeing those two struggling to go up a shorthill with almost no slope was quite amusing to watch. Dalziel misreadthe burst of amusement as a response to his statement. He donned asmug grin, thinking Beth liked the joke he tried to make. Bethnoticed this, but didn't say anything. It wasn't worth it, plus shecould work this to her advantage.

Fuck,now she was thinking like that spectacle-wearing freak.

Theduo reached the lighthouse, and climbed the stairs side by side.About half-way up, Beth was getting short of breath. Dalziel turnedto her, hearing the shortened, struggling breaths.

"Beth,are you alright?" He asked, genuine concern in his voice.

Bethgritted her teeth. She hated it when he was likeable. "There's...just too many... stairs for me. You go... on ahead, I'll... I'lljust... catch my breath... here." she said, gasping for air.

"Likehell you will! We are going to get to the top of this together, youhear me! I know, I'll have to carry you up!" Dalziel said, theconcern turning into determination quicker than you could count toJustin Bieber's IQ. With one fell swoop, he grabbed Beth and placedher on his back, piggy-back style. Beth was too out of breath tocomplain. Onwards he marched, his torso gently bobbing up and down tothe rhythm of his footsteps. Upwards the rose, Beth slowly fallingasleep on his back. She hated herself for it, but she was enjoyinglying on his back. She wrapped her arms around his neck, her handscoming to a rest at his pecks. He gave them a gentle squeeze, andcontinued forward. Before she knew it, they were at the top. Allaround them were glass walls with a single, green doorway let to thedark black balcony.

"Thanks..."she said, hopping off Dalziel. She didn't know why, but she feltsomething rushing through her chest. She didn't know what it was,though. Above them, the rotating beacon let of a soft whooshingsound, giving the room a peaceful, calm atmosphere.

"You'remore than welcome. Trust me, I know how you feel!" Dalziel said,stretching. Did he mean when she was out of breath, or now in thisroom?

Theyboth went onto the balcony, and looked out over the ocean. Theshore-side wind rippled through Beth's hair, making it whip outlike a flag. Dalziel put his arm around her shoulder, and she didn'tobject. This was all part of Zac's fool-proof plan. That's why shewas allowing it. No other reason. They stood there in silence foralmost a minute, until Beth realised.

"Ommagosh,we're hogging the tower!" She realised the next two to come up wereLevi and Zac, and she also knew Zac wouldn't come up until the'love-birds' were down."Um, Dalziel, we should probably headdown..." She said. Dalziel removed his arm from her. She feltsomething twist in her gut. "Well alright then. Want me to carryyou back down?"

Bethwas tired already. "Yeah, that would be nice."

Bethcouldn't remember the next part. She was later informed by Zac thatshe was asleep by the time Dalziel had come down, and the scene wasextremely clique. He also added that the look on Dalziel's face madeit obvious that the plan was working. Beth didn't want to know whathis face had looked like. Levi also told her that she had beentopless all the way home. She didn't believe that last bit.

Backat camp, she finally regained conciousness. She was on one of thefold-out chairs, with a blue, unzipped sleeping bag over her. It wasrather warm. To her left, Dalziel was in another chair, also underthe same sleeping bag. She had been leaning on him, and he was softlysnoozing. Opposite her, Zac was slumped in his chair, with a face ofuttermost gloom. This confused her. Zachariah was never sad.

"Zac,"she whispered, trying to not wake Dalziel, "Why with the longface?"

Zachariahsnapped to attention. "Oh," he whispered back, "That's MYsleeping bag!"

Bethresisted the urge to laugh. Of course. The only thing to makeZachariah sad was to remove unnecessary comfort. "So why is it onus?"

"Wellthat bit's pretty fucking obvious. It's setting the mood!" He said,pointing at Dalziel. Look, you dumb-ass!"

Dalziel'sface showed only one thing- contentedness. Zac was right. His planwas working. The fool had fallen right into the trap. "And this iswhere part two comes in!" Zachariah whispered. "Dinner is in justunder a hour. I want you to get me some extra food... from him." hesaid, pointing to the sleeping boy. "Easy enough, right?"

Bethswallowed. It didn't sound easy enough.

Andit wasn't.