Two - The Job Offer

The campus looked regal in the winter light, warm stone buildings edged with leafless trees standing to attention around them.
I swung the car into the dorm parking and sighed in relief, I hated driving long distances and the icy weather conditions had not made it any easier . suddenly a loud bang on my window made me jump "Ahh, you scared me" I cried.
"Welcome back dork, I've missed you" Dan shouted pulling me out of the car and helping me unload my bags.
"What's going on with you" I ask as we finally drop everything off in my dorm
"Well.... Drew said yes to a date and we're going out tonight, I need your help getting ready"
Laughing I hug him "you'll be fine, just be yourself, Drew knows you already through class, he's not going to be chased off easily"
"But... what if..." I stop him by putting my hand over his mouth, "deep breath Dan, you will be fine, trust me" I smile at him.
He wrapped his arms around me and squeezed "you are my goddess and if you say it will be fine I trust you"
I laugh again wriggling free "I'm not a goddess I'm just me, now go get ready, you know you take longer than any girl to get ready to go out"
"Ouch that's harsh" he complained smiling as he left.
I unpacked my cases and checked my messages, surprised to find a message from my professor asking me to see him about an 'exciting opportunity', I smile to myself thinking that what Professor Lemm considers exciting may not meet my idea of the word.
Looking at the clock I realised the professor should be in his office so I grabbed a coat and made my way there.
Knock knock...."come in"
I opened the door and smiled at him "ah Thena, come in, I presume you got my message"
"Yes sir" I replied
" wonderful, now how would you like a paid assignment in Greece, I have been asked to recommend someone who has knowledge of Athena, who can support at a private dig on very short notice in Thassos" he smiled at me.
"Your kidding, really when, but do then not want a qualified archaeologist" I asked holding my excitement at bay.
"Thena this opportunity is ideal for you, I have never had a student with you level of knowledge and interest, you have the knowledge to do this and they are aware you are not qualified but time is of the essence and if you accept you will need to be on a plane tomorrow"
"Tomorrow" I squeak " but classes, I've just come back"
"The university will support this being part of your course as a placement opportunity, don't worry, this will not effect your grades adversely, it will help you, now what do you say, yes or no" he questioned.
"Yes absolutely yes" I replied.
Xx