Chapter Seven

It was two days later and the drugs were still tucked away in Nicky's cupboard untouched. She looked at it every time she entered her bunk but so far she had resisted.

Today was the day that Nicky had to cut off her family. She had a plan. She would have to threaten Red. She didn't want to but she knew it was the only way she could do it. She would use the drugs to help. She had no intention of using them but Red didn't have to know that. She was scared what she would do after. She was still in a lot of pain and not able to do much, Red had been looking after her and she didn't think she was capable to do it herself.

It was after lunch and Nicky was taking the dreaded walk to the kitchen. She had to do it now. Nicky was glad Red was the only one in there. Nicky had cooked the heroin and had already put it in the syringe she had stolen from medical. She also had a tourniquet. She had just cleaned her arm. She walked into the kitchen.

"Red, I need to talk to you." She Said sternly.

"I thought I told you to go lie down."

"It's important. I need you to stay there. Don't move." Red looked worried but she listened in fear for what her daughter would do. Nicky moved to the other end of the kitchen. She tied the tourniquet around her arm. Red had an idea of what was going to happen but didn't dare move. Nicky placed the needle on the crease of her arm.

"Nicky don't!" Cried Red.

"I'm not going to if you listen to me." She paused for a moment not believing what she was about to do. "I need you to leave me alone. Not talk to me anymore. Not look at me. Don't care for me. Stop the family talking to me. Trust me I don't want to do it but I am in a lot of shit right now and if I don't do this you are going to get dragged into it too. I love you so much and believe me if there was any other way I wouldn't do this." There was silence.

"It seems as you have made your mind up. So if it is going to stop you getting in trouble then I will do it but I want you to know I will always love you Nicky."

"I love you too Red." Nicky replied as she placed the syringe back into her pocket and untied the tourniquet. She got up and left Red standing alone in the kitchen with tears falling from her face. With tears also falling from her face Nicky, as quickly as she could, left the canteen and went to the bathroom. She entered a shower cubicle, closed the curtain and sat down. She took off her sling and closed her eyes. She had done it. She was all alone. Again. She had been alone before prison so surely she could cope. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the needle and tourniquet once more. Without worrying how clean her arm was she tied the tourniquet around her arm and inserted the needle. She watched her blood come out and the heroin go in. This would make everything seem better.