The Prince's Friend

"How was your first day of school sweetheart?" Dad asks as I sit at the kitchen table, unloading my small satchel with today's homework and paperwork for him to sign

 "It was good, I met another little boy today who was placed as my buddy. He's really nice too and doesn't mind my shyness," I tell him, plucking a red crayon from my little monster shaped pencil case and coloring the coordinating letters on the worksheet. 

The natural sunlight coming in through the windows cast a yellow glow across the glass table. I shift a little to the right so it reaches my face and basks in its natural warmth. 

"That's good. I'm proud of you for actually talking to someone this time," he says as he takes the kettle off the stove, pouring the hot water into a small mug. 

I pause my worksheet to examine him as he dunks in the little tea bag and the pleasant smell of tart strawberries fills the kitchen. 

"He wants to play with me today, is it okay if I go?" I ask as he walks over and hands me the mug

"He wants to play with me today, is it okay if I go?" I ask as he walks over and hands me the mug. It was always our little tradition to drink tea together in the afternoon, just the two of us. He clucks his tongue and looks outside. 

"I dunno buddy, it's getting pretty cold out." He says as he takes a sip.

 "Please daddy? I never ask to go out and play with my friends because I've never had any before," I beg with a pouted lip and wide puppy eyes. 

He turns back to me and lets out a small sigh.

 "Alright, I suppose you can go," He says and I quickly stand up to jump for joy about to race out of the room to grab my boots. 

"HEY!" I stop half step and almost fall over. 

Turning on my heel, I look at my dad. He raises an eyebrow and points to my homework. 

"Finish this first then you can go," he compromises and I groan out loud in a joking manner as I return to the table, getting back into the chair. He reaches over and ruffles my soft brown hair while taking a sip of tea and I take a sip from my own mug in imitation. 

"Ah, you're getting so big Aiden. I can't believe you're about to be eight years old," he says and gently pinches my nose. 

"Daddy!" I cry out and he chuckles a little. 

His laugh was a rare sound I had hardly been able to hear these days and I wished he laughed more often. 

I rest my chin on the corner of the table as I continue tracing lines with and although the sun had decided to abandon me and cast its glow elsewhere, the love radiating from his small smile and the steam wafting from the tiny mug of tea was enough to keep me nice and toasty.

But the sound of the front door opening and slamming shut takes his smile and the warm glow that came with it. 

Dad almost jumps out of his seat and the relaxation that had settled previously flees the room. My father walks into the kitchen, with the familiar jingle of keys I sit up straight. Quickly taking my crayons off the table.

 "Hey!" Father calls out as a greeting and lays his car keys down on the counter. 

Dad's hand's tightened its grip on the mug and he goes stiff when Father kisses his cheek.

 "Good afternoon Father," I say back almost immediately and he reaches over, ruffling my hair. 

"How was your first day of school little guy?" He asks and looks down at his watch, clearly disinterested. My father places one hand on dad's shoulder and gives a tight squeeze.

 My dad winces and as I start to tell them the story of my first day of school he quickly interrupts me. 

"Hey sweetie, why don't you go play with your friend now? Just be home before it gets dark okay?" Dad suggests, his voice almost wavering. My father pulls away from him and turns to look at something on his phone. 

"Okay daddy, I promise I'll come home before dark," I swear with a small smile and he pulls me into a tight hug before letting go of me so I can make my escape.