Chapter 5

The Christmas Call

Ashton’s P.O.V

It was cool to be travelling with Calum. We were just doing stupid shit, trying to see Scotland for the Christmas holiday.

I was right though, I thought of Lexi the entire time.

It was Christmas Eve by us but Christmas Day in Sydney so Cal & I spent awhile skyping our families to see how their Christmas morning went & all of that.

Calum ended up falling asleep about midnight & I stayed up, just watching some Christmas movies in the hotel.

Then Lexi called me, which I wasn’t expecting but happy to see. I answered & made my way into the hotel lobby so I wouldn’t wake Calum.

"Hey Lexi, Happy almost Christmas!"

"Happy Christmas Ashton."

She sounded a bit sad.

"What’s up? Why are you awake still?" I asked her.

"I can’t sleep. I’m sorry, I don’t know why I called you."

"No, it’s fine. I’m not doing anything, can’t fall asleep either. What’s going on?"

"Uhm lots of shit went down tonight at my dad’s house."

"Uh-oh, well I’m here to listen."

"I just didn’t know who else to call."

"Don’t worry about it! Just tell me."

"My dad proposed to Grace."

That was her dad’s girlfriend that she wasn’t a fan of, at all.

"Oh shit."

"& he didn’t tell me he was doing it."

"Okay, uhm start at the beginning, can you?"

"Okay so when I got here the other day, my dad & I were good. We went shopping, went to dinner & stuff, decorated his tree. We talked a lot too, just catching up. I told him about dance & you guys & stuff. Then today was Christmas Eve, right, so we woke up & watched movies all day, made cookies & stuff…our traditions. Then when my dad went to make dinner, he was cooking for like 5 so I was like why all the food? & he said that Grace & her sons were coming."

"Oh, she has kids?"

"Yea, two sons. Mark is 15 & Emmett is 19."

"How are they?"

"They’re cool guys. I like them a whole lot better than their mom."

"Gotcha. Continue, sorry."

"So anyway, we have dinner & I fake the whole like omg nice to see you again shit & she is trying to act all interested in my life but it seems fake. Yea so then I was doing the dishes & the boys came in & were like can you believe what’s going down tonight? I was like what do you mean?"

"So they knew?"

"Just wait. So then Emmett was like your dad is proposing to my mom tonight."

"& how did they know?"

"I guess since her father passed away & my dad wanted to be somewhat traditional & ask for permission, he asked them."

"Wow."

"Yea. So then I like went up in my room & hid for awhile, trying to process everything but then my dad called me downstairs & gave this speech about how much he loves her, then popped the question."