Chapter 6 - Natalia

Isn't it hard being this happy all time, Natalia questioned as she led the babbling Princess up the steps to her room in the East Wing.

The Princess was saying something about how her groomer had been giving one of her show ponies the wrong grooming routine when they finally arrived at Natalia's door. For some reason the walk to her rooms seemed longer than usual tonight.

"So," Natalia began, stopping the Princess mid-sentence, "I have many sorts of nightclothes for you to borrow. Would you like wool, silks, perhaps just a slip?" Natalia suggested with a raised brow.

"Do you have any silk nightgowns?" The Princess asked kindly.

"Of course," she said being overly sweet with her tone.

"That would be wonderful," Isabelle said as Natalia headed for her huge closet and threw open the doors.

As she emerged with a rosy pink nightgown for Isabelle and a navy blue slip for herself, she prompted, "You know, Isabelle, you're the first girl anyone's had at the castle in a long time."
Isabelle took her clothes, "I'm here strictly on business," she reminded her, blushing.

It was like Natalia had heard that from each of them a hundred times. Maybe they're trying to convince themselves, she thought with a smirk.

"I know, silly goose. It's just, I rarely have the company of a female, and I was wondering," Natalia asked, smiling sheepishly, "if maybe you could stay in my rooms for a while, and we could do our hair, talk about men, even take a walk in the courtyard if you'd like. It's absolutely stunning this time of night," she finished.

Natalia saw the doubt in Isabelle's eyes. She sat down gently.

"Or, if you don't want to, I suppose that's fine," she lowered her head like a puppy being scolded. "It just gets so tiring having all boys around," she let her eyes get teary. "Ever since I came back it's- it's like I'm a monster to them." She allowed a tear to glide down her cheek.

For all the talking she was doing before, she's awfully silent now, Natalia thought, aggravated.

"I've been craving a new hairstyle for a while now, actually," Isabelle relented.

Finally, "I think I've got something in mind for you," Natalia suggested, wiping that stupid tear from her face.

"Wonderful," the Princess said, grinning widely.

Natalia led her to her bed and grabbed a hair brush and a white ribbon from her makeup table. She began to tie Isabelle's hair back into her own signature Dutch braid.

"So, any Prince you have your eye on?" Isabelle asked as Natalia braided.

"Oh, no. That's not really something on my priority list," she admitted.

"That's a shame. I'm sure someone would love to have you as their bride," Natalia laughed loudly.

She caught her breath, "That's a ridiculous notion; I'd sooner join the Army than get married," she finished. "Besides, I've never met anyone who can match my wit," they laughed in harmony as Natalia finished Isabelle's braid.

Isabelle turned around. With her hair tied back, caramel skin smooth and unscathed, and brown eyes shining in the dim light of the lamp, she looked like Vaquera, the Faerie goddess of battle, a warrior. Natalia liked the look; it was the look of a Queen.

"You're beautiful," she said, leading her to a mirror.

Isabelle smiled at her reflection, "You did a beautiful job."

"Thanks, Princess."

"Now I'll do you," Isabelle offered.

"Alright, But could you take off your gloves? My hair will get terribly frizzy," she laughed. "Maxon used to rub pillow against my head to make my hair stand up; it made our mother furious."

"Sure," Isabelle smiled sweetly.

She took off both of her gloves and placed them on Natalia's beside table. On Isabelle's left hand was the small mark of an eye, with a star seeming to glow in the center. She's clairvoyant, Natalia realized. On her right hand was the mark of a hand cradling a heart; the power of persuasion, she thought in awe. Within the span of a moment, the glimpse Natalia had of Isabelle's delicate hands was gone, and she began to work on her hair gently.

Natalia's suspicions had been right; the Princess wasn't just a germaphobe, she was hiding something beneath those gloves.
While Isabelle continues to tie up Natalia's hair, she smiled at her revelation, and at all the possibilities it opened up for her.

"I like having you around, Isabelle. You keep things...interesting," she said, grinning with satisfaction.