Chapter 60 || "Platonic Friendship"

When we pull up in front of my house, my stomach drops as I look in the driveway. Mom's car is back. I frown and look over at Shawn, who shoots me a reassuring smile.

"I hope everything goes okay." he says. I just nod, leaning over to take the bag out of the back seat. Shawn begins to lean in to kiss me, but I shake my head and stop him.

"I don't want my mom to see if she's watching out the window. I want to try and minimize the damage that I've already done." I say. Shawn nods knowingly. "Thanks for the ride."

"Bye. Good luck." he says as I open the car door.

"Thanks. Bye." I say, shutting the door and walking away.

I slowly head up the driveway and to the house, dreading what will inevitably happen when I step inside. I pull out my key to unlock the door, but I watch as it opens and reveals Mom standing there. I gulp, putting my keys away and stepping inside.

"Helaina." Mom sighs. "Why wouldn't you just tell me you have a boyfriend?"

I step inside and stare at him, visibly surprised. This is not where I expected the conversation to go. I anticipated screaming and cursing and groundings being thrown at me left and right, not a heart-to-heart with my mom.

"What do you mean?" I ask, sitting down. Mom sighs, rolling her eyes and shutting the front door.

"Don't play stupid. You seem to forget that I was a teenage girl once, too. I had secret boyfriends of my own." Mom says.

"He's not a secret." I say, and once the words are out, I realize there's no taking them back. I've finally admitted I'm dating Shawn.

"Really? Then why did you lie to me in Target before?"

"I wasn't lying! I really am sick! You saw me throwing up!" I exclaim, exasperated.

"So you mean to tell me that part about Julia was true, too?" Mom asks, and my cheeks grow red.

"Okay, so maybe I lied a little..." I say quietly. "But I really did just go to get aspirin. I still feel like shit."

"Helaina, watch your mouth." Mom warns, but I roll my eyes.

"Oh, come on. We're the only ones here, and it's not like Ava and Luke don't curse all the time." I point out.

"Ava curses?"

"Well, maybe not in front of you, but in front of me and Dad and Luke? She curses like a sailor."

Mom sighs, rubbing her head tiredly.

"I'm going to have to talk to her about that later. Now, let's get back to you." she says, and my stomach drops again.

"Are you going to tell Dad?" I ask quietly, and she shakes her head.

"No, I'm not." I let out a sigh of relief. "What your father doesn't know won't kill him. But, I would like you to remember my generosity in this moment to you the next time you decide to pick a fight with me or one of your siblings."

I nod.

"Also, I would like to point out that just because your dad doesn't know about this, doesn't mean you and I won't talk about your boundaries."

"My boundaries?" I ask.

"Yes, your boundaries. If I catch you home alone with a boy ever again, I can promise you you'll be grounded until you're old enough to ground kids of your own." Mom threatens.

"We weren't even home alone. Like & said, Shawn just picked me up to-" I begin, but she cuts me off.

"Helaina, how stupid do you think I am?" Mom asks. "Do you really think I believe your boyfriend just picked you up and left without ever stepping foot inside this house when you were the only one home?"