Chapter 10

“Darkened Shadows”

Chapter 10

Part One

(Randall’s POV)

I stood there like a dummy, not moving a limb. Soaking Dale’s death in. I lost another one, I was sick to my stomach. I’m not use to this at all, it kills me to see Jessica like this. Julian couldn’t stand to watch this, guessing he’s never grown attached to someone, then have them ripped away from you. You keep telling your self that their just sleeping, they’ll wake up soon. Then days later, there they are, lying in a pit, white faces, skin ice cold. No pulse, eyes are closed, never opening again. Everyone was crying, or just standing there staring at the grave, or the ground. Rick placed a white flower in front of his grave. I looked at everyone, Andrea looked as if someone squeezed the life out of her. Lori was so use to all of these deaths, she just stood there quietly, staring at the grave. Jessie looked like she wasn’t with us, just staring at the ground. Carl was crying a lot, snuggling his face in Rick’s side.

“Till this day on, we’re going to do what Dale die for us to do. We are going to keep him alive by following in his foot steps. No matter what we do, Dale was our leader. Dale was stronger than anyone here, wasn’t afraid to speak the truth. Believed in having humanity, even if the world is dead! We believed strongly that this group was broken, but…Dale…Dale didn’t. He knew there was a reward for all of us, a family, a group, something that is stronger than death.” Rick started crying, “Dale wasn’t scared to stare death in the eyes, he never gave us up. If anything he kept this group alive and going. Without him, we’re just weak. But we’re going to prove him wrong, and we’re going to show him that we’re just as strong!” Rick placed Dale’s fisherman hat on the pile of stones. The wind started picking up, everyone started walking away from the grave.

I went up to and kneeled next to it, “Dale if you can hear me, please protect us all. I didn’t mean what I said back there, I was just upset.” Tears started rolling down my face, “But, I thought of you as a father. I went to you about lot’s of things. I can’t believe your gone, forever.” I laid my head on the stones. “Your some one who I look up to, you taught me how to get a hold of myself, how to become part of this group. Give me a sign or something!” The wind stopped, I didn’t think anything of it. Dale’s sniper fell over in my lap. I jumped, totally freaked out about what happened. I stood it up against the stone pile, and went back to my tent. I just stood there, thinking about Dale’s death.

“Randall?” I turned around and Carl was standing there. “Can you keep a secret?” I nodded to him. He pulled out a gun, then held it out to me. Carl started shaking all over, he broke out in tears. “I’m the reason why, why he died. I’m so sorry!” I took his gun, I kneeled down in front of him, I took his hands and looked him straight in the eyes/

“Carl, keep it.” He shook his head, “Look at me. I need you to keep that gun with you…” He backed away from me.

“Why? No! I can’t. Randall I can’t!” I shook him a little.

“Just in case something bad happens, okay? If there’s a walker out there, I just want you to be safe.” I hugged Carl, I think of him as a little brother. “I don’t to loose you! Just take the gun. Go!” Carl ran off, down the hill. I heard something walking up behind me, I looked behind me, nothing was there. My attention went to the woods, right away. My stomach went sick, I looked down at my knife.

“Randy! Take a stroll with us! Rick wanted me to let the boy go, and insisted you come!” Shane asked, I nodded to him. We both walked to the shed I use to be locked up in, I was curious why Rick would let Shane take him into the woods. I just kept quiet, Shane took the boy out, he had black hair and scrawny as hell too. I followed Shane into the woods, it killed me hearing the boy pleading for us to let him go. Shane stopped and I kept walking forward, I had a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. “Do you still remember where that camp is set up?” I already told them where Dan’s group was set up at, he was covering something up.

“Yeah, on the side of the highway. Why?” I stopped to ask, he just scratched his bald head, and just stared at me.

“Cause. I’m just getting sick of being in this group. I understand you feel the same.” What? No, I love being in this group, because I know everyone and I’m not a slave.

“Sure.” I rolled my eyes and kept walking, the boy tripped and fell down, I bent over to help him.

“Leave him!” Shane pointed his gun to my back, I started shaking, I became terrified. I started backing up away from him. I fell backwards, I kept trying to move away from him, but I was stopped by a tree.

“Shane!? Man…can…just…forget ‘bout this okay?” My heart started pounding, it was obvious that I was scared, my voice choked. “Please don’t-”

“SHHH! Hey, I’m not going to hurt you yet.” Shane smiled in a sinister way, I didn’t want to yell, cause he could pull that trigger just as fast. He walked over to the boy and sit him up. “Start talking!” I didn’t want Shane to hurt him.

“Don’t answer him!” The boy looked at me, Shane got up and grabbed the front of my shirt.

“Shut up!” He threw me to the ground again, he kicked in the gut, knocking the breathe out of me.

“Jesus! Why don’t you just kill me all ready? Might as well just shoot me!” I yelled out, this was getting on my nerves, I get impaled, shot at, left to be eaten, or beaten. Just kill me already! “I’m pretty much dead inside already!” Shane kicked me again in the stomach.

“Fine!” Shane wrapped his hands around my neck, tighten his grasps, I couldn’t breathe. My eyes started closing tightly on me. My fighting hands faded away.

“Ah! Shane…Ah!”