1. Center Stage

Caitlyn's POV.

"Caitlyn! We have to go! You need to be at the Civic Center in less than fifteen minutes!"

"I'm coming! Just let me finish my bun!"

My mom has always stressed about me having everything done on time, getting to every single performance on time. At this very moment, I'm sick to my stomach. I know it's just nerves, but I'm still terrified.

Tonight is my first recital back with Linda Lavender School of Dance since I left five years ago to take a break.

About three years ago, I started begging my mom to let me take pointe, but she doesn't think I can handle it.

This year, she agreed that if I had all A's the last nine-weeks of school, she would let me take pointe next dance season. I just found out, about two days ago, I have all A's for the last nine-weeks.

Considering today is my birthday, you would think she would let me take pointe. I have even told her I will pay for my first pair of pointe shoes.

"Alright, mom, I'm coming!" I yell from my room.

"Hurry up, it's 6:37 and you need to be there at 6:45," she says as I walk into the kitchen.

"Where's dad and Daniel?" I ask.

"They're already in the car waiting," she tells me, opening the door, trying to get me out as fast as possible.

"Okay, okay, I'm walking as fast as I can, no need to push me," I tell her.

On the ride to the Civic Center, everything is so quiet. It's been like this all day. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket; it's a text from my friend, Meagan.

From Meagan:

Your recital is at 7:30, right?

To Meagan:

Yeah, text me if you see James and Ms. Cindy, okay?

From Meagan:

Okay I will. Good luck and don't fall on your face!

To Meagan:

Thanks, I'll try my best not to!

We get to the Civic Center and my mom lets me out by the backstage entrance.

"Good luck," she tells me, "remember Ms. Jessica and James are watching!"

Ms. Jessica is the coach of the Bengal Belles, the state-wide known high school dance team to which I recently was accepted. I have wanted to be a Bengal since I was four years old. I have always been fascinated with the way they dance; now younger girls will look up to me how I looked up to them when I was little.

James is my crush of about two-and-a-half months now. He knows I like him, and we are friends, but it's gotten pretty awkward between us lately. Yesterday was the last day of school, most likely the last time I will see him until we go back to school on August 14th.

The main problem is: he has a sister, Hayley. No, not a girlfriend, but a sister. An overprotective one at that. I dance with his sister, I have known her since we were little, danced with her since we were little, and played softball with her for two years. If she knew I like him, she would kill me.

"Hey Caitlyn!" my friend Brieanna comes out of the backstage door to find me and bring me to the dressing room, "we've been waiting on you! Hayley is really pissed right now, something about you liking James?"

Crap, she found out. This birthday probably couldn't get any worse.