4. Finale

Caitlyn's POV.

Boy, was I wrong when I thought everything would be fine.

Dead wrong.

"What in the hell were you thinking!" Kirsten yells at me in the dressing room, "Do you know how much trouble we can get in for that?"

"We?" I screamed at her, "You stood there looking like an idiot while I did everything!"

I cannot believe this bitch is going to try to start shit after doing what she did! Suddenly I see James running frantically through the hallway. I ditch my argument with Kirsten and run to the door.

"Looking for someone?" I call after him.

"Actually, I just found them," he replies, winking at me.

"Oh."

"You did an amazing job out there, and that little solo at the end; was that planned?"

"Ha, nope. Kirsten actually just got really pissed at me. Who cares though, it was fun and she's a bitch," I say, mentally patting myself on the back.

"Got that right, I've only talked to her once but Hayley definitely hates her. But seriously, you were awesome out there, better than anyone else I saw."

"Thanks, by the way, how did you get back here?"

"I have my connections, don't worry about it though. Anyway, I'm really glad I got to see you."

"I'm glad I got to see you too. Shit, it's almost time for the finale. I'll see you after?"

"Yeah just meet me outside the backstage door," he says, leaning in and hugging me.

***

"AND NOW LET'S GIVE A ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO COMPETITION 6!" the announcer says as my row stands up in the finale. I'm not in competition, but since I was the only one in our Thursday class who wasn't, Ms. Linda Lou let me do the finale with the girls my age in competition 6.

We stand up and join hands to take a bow. I look to the front row where James was sitting earlier to see an empty seat, my smile immediately turning into a frown. Where could he have gone?

___________________________

James's POV.

God, Caitlyn is gonna kill me. I'm supposed to be in the audience watching her in the finale.

I never told her happy birthday, either. Shit.

I run back inside to see the curtains closing.

I missed the finale.

***

It is HELL waiting on Hayley to come from backstage after the recital.

"How much crap to these dancers need to take with them," I mutter as I see a girl walk out with two boxes, a costume bag, and a giant makeup case.

It's 10:30 and at this rate, I'll be standing here til 11:00! Finally I see Hayley walk out the door, Caitlyn trailing behind her.

"Hey James!" Hayley calls to me, waving.

"Hey there, sister! You did amazing out there," I tell her.

After Hayley is out of earshot I pull Caitlyn closer and whisper, "But definitely not as amazing as you," seeing her blush at my comment.