Forever

It all happened in an instant.

Our car was flipped in the middle of the intersection. I could hear shouting, and screams. The screams were nonstop.

I heard Landon's voice. We were upside down.

"Aubrey, baby, baby, are you okay? Hunter! Can you guys hear me?"

I looked over at him. He was bleeding from his nose, his head, everywhere. The car. It hit his side.

My thoughts were jumbled. Hunter, was he wearing a seatbelt?

I looked back at Hunter, and his eyes were closed. At least his seat belt was on.

I felt a hand on my cheek, but I couldn't register who's it was.

I heard, "Shhhh. It's gonna be okay, Aubrey. Shhh."

That's when I realized the screams were coming from me. I was sobbing uncontrollably.

All I could hear was, "It's gonna be okay. I'm so sorry, baby, I'm so sorry. I love you. It's gonna be okay."

Landon's words kept fading in and out. I was fading in and out.

My name being screamed from Landon's mouth were the last thing I remember. I don't remember being airlifted to a bigger hospital since my town's hospital wasn't equipped. I don't remember talking to my mom before I went into surgery. I don't remember seeing Hunter. I don't remember being in the hospital being rushed through the halls. I don't even remember Landon from his stretcher screaming my name, and telling me he loved me.

I don't know what his last words were. I woke up in a sterile room, and the only color that wasn't pastel were the flowers sitting next to my bed.

My mouth was dry, and the words that I tried to speak were swallowed by the tube in my throat. I began to choke, unable to breathe with it down my throat. That's when my room was swarmed with nurses, and my parents came rushing in behind.

I looked at the nurse who was whispering to me that it would be okay, and I couldn't stop crying. The snot, and tears streaming down my face continued. I woke up confused, with no recollection of getting to the hospital.

When they finally took the tube out of my throat I asked what happened.

My mom broke down crying. She couldn't answer my question, and that's when my dad stepped in. He put his arm around my mom, trying to be the rock for the both of us.

"Honey, you were in an accident."

The moment those words came out of his mouth memories came in flooding.

"Landon! Hunter!" My dad pushed me back down on the bed. I tried to fight him to sit up, to get answers, to do anything.

"Aubrey, you have to lay down. It was a bad accident, and you had to have surgery. You'll rip out your stitches if you get up. I'll answer all the questions you have."

"The boys, are they okay?"

He looked down and his hand holding mine. Tears were streaming out of my dad's eyes.

"Who? Who died?" The words rang into the room, echoing off the walls.

"I'm so sorry love. Landon is gone."

My body was rocked by shock. I couldn't breathe. I was gasping for air, trying to relieve my burning lungs. My head was shaking, no no no. It couldn't be true.

Everything kind of became muted after that. I could hear my dad's voice. He was explaining what had happened. The light was green like I had thought. While we were crossing the highway another car hydroplaned through the stop light and smashed in ours. It was a fluke, an accident. Landon looked like he would make it out. The entire helicopter ride he was talking to the medics. He couldn't stop crying about his brother and me.