The Spirit's Sword

"It looks like things aren't over just yet."

Her gaze sharp, Lefille's comment filled the others with anxiety.

The magician girl's gaze followed the direction that Lefille had pointed in.

"L-Lefille-san is right. They're coming this way! And there's more than last time..."

"Are you serious?"

"Damn! There were people hurt in the battle just now. We don't have enough people!"

The young girl's words sent the bodyguards and adventurers into a frantic clamor.

The reality of the continuation of their battle with the Mazoku was evidenced by the presence of additional presences. Moreover, not only had some of their number been injured in the previous battle, but there were even more Mazoku than the last time. Things had taken a turn for the worse.

Given the above, that they felt shaken to their cores was only natural.

A step later, Suimei began to focus on reconnaissance. Closing his eyes in order to shut out unnecessary information, he activated his magician's sixth sense.

There's what, ten? No, about twenty. Just like they said, there's more than last time.

Just like the previous time, the presences were headed straight for them.

The strength of the presences felt roughly on par with those from the previous battle. These were likely the same kind of Mazoku—

As Suimei was staring off into the distance, the bodyguards lamented their situation bewilderedly.

"...What do we do now?"

"Do you even have to ask? We meet their attack! There's nowhere to run, after all!"

"Listen up! Everyone hurt in the last battle, pull back! Everyone else, prepare yourself!"

Roared commands overlapped, serving only to further deepen the already disorganized atmosphere. Very soon their enemies would arrive.

They'd won fairly handily the first time around, but that was only because they far outnumbered the enemy. Now that their numbers had lessened while their enemies' had grown, fear had them in its grip. Terror and unrest had seized a hold of this battlefield.

Galeo, who had hidden in the cargo wagon along with the other merchants until now, stepped out.

He walked into the midst of the bodyguards, who were busy with preparations.

"I-is the battle not over yet...?" Galeo asked in a shrill voice, his face ashen.

As a noncombatant, as far as he was concerned, the Mazoku were solely an object of fear. From the actions and words of the others, he seemed to have noticed the situation.

One of the escorts answered him.

"Yes. Please continue to wait, it seems there are more Mazoku headed this way."

"W-what? Are we going to be okay?!"

"...That, huh. Well, from what was said, it seems there are more than last time and we don't have the time to heal those who were wounded. Things might not go so well for us this time."

"How could this happen... Are you telling me we're going to die?!"

"No, we'll protect you with all we've got. It's just that..."

"What?"

"In a worst case scenario, our defense will collapse and some of the guards might flee."