Meeting the Enemy

Several days after Suimei had left the capital with the caravan.

Their journey had gone off without a hitch. They had encountered neither robbers nor monsters, and even inclement weather – which would slow their pace drastically – had not occurred. Instead, they'd simply continued along their way, staying at small villages and along the road.

If there was anything to be unhappy about, it was only the small portion sizes for meals. This, however, was obviously something they had been aware of before even setting out, and so it wasn't really worth mentioning.

Soon after, they safely passed through the mountain pass that was commonly referred to as the most difficult part of the journey, and the path they were now taking was at quite steep indeed.

From what he'd heard from the merchants in the caravan, they still had about a third of their trip to go. Once they'd passed through the foothills and a large basin, they'd find themselves at their destination.

—The differences between their worlds notwithstanding, it seemed some things were the same everywhere. Adapting to sudden changes in environment was something just as difficult for the people of this world as for those of his own.

For just as the caravan had left the foothills and reached the forest at the foot of the mountain—

The forest was fairly sparse, and on a typical sunny day, the light of the sun would easily break through the forest canopy. Today, however, there was a thick cloud cover that left them feeling morose.

The scene, a gloomy gray that stretched as far as the eye could see, impacted their mood greatly.

In this situation, where it seemed that they could be targeted at any moment, an atmosphere of danger suddenly descended.

...Lefille, walking with Suimei, suddenly spoke.

"...Suimei-kun. Have you noticed?"

"Yeah, I have."

As he'd said, he had already sensed the faint presences in their proximity.

In fact, ever since they'd left the foothills and set foot in this forest, his neck had begun to burn, an ill omen. Afterward, he'd sensed an undisguised surge of mana, as if in preparation for an upcoming battle, radiating from a magical place nearby.

Well, actually, that wasn't an entirely accurate description... Because that magical force seemed to be heading straight for them.

From this, he could tell that an unknown something, possessing a great amount of mana, was about to ambush them...

"...Hey, is this a monster? It doesn't seem like a person..." Suimei asked Lefille, while keeping a guarded eye on his flank.

Suimei's question was provoked by the waves of mana he felt emanating from the creature. From what he could feel, this was an existence far from human.

Lefille's answer came with certainty.

"No, this is no monster. It's Mazoku."

"Wha..."

Why would that name pop up here, of all places? Although it'd been a topic of conversation earlier in the journey, had there really been some connection after all?

However.

"...You were pretty certain just now. Is there really no possibility of it being something other than the Mazoku?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I know them inside and out. There's no way I would make a mistake about this."