Chapter one-Arendelle Under Attack

Elsa, Queen of Arendelle, was a prisoner in her own throne room. She was on her knees, hands bound behind her back, glaring at the enemy commander sprawled arrogantly on her throne. His men had dragged her in here from the castle courtyard, tripping her and twisting their fists into her hair to pull her back on her feet. Their intent was to degrade and intimidate her. She was not intimidated. She was, however, afraid. Her fear was more for her sister Anna than for her own safety. Elsa was afraid that her plan to defeat these enemies of Arendelle would fail, leaving the kingdom helpless and the two sisters dead.

Her bun had loosened into a disheveled braid over her shoulder and her bangs dangled over her forehead. There was a small trickle of blood from her temple where one of her hairpins had cut her when they had pulled her up by her hair. A backhanded blow to her face had split her lip. Blood from her cut lip still stained her chin. On her knees, bound, hurt, she was defiant, even though her eyes had fear in them, fear for her sister, for Anna, eyes only for her, not for the enemies who had taken them prisoner or for the sword at her throat.

"Three days; this all started three days ago. Anna. We'll survive this, I promise," was Elsa's silent vow to her sister. She prayed she could make good on that vow.

It had been a beautiful fall day in Arendelle. Crisp, cool, sunny; perfect weather for October.

Queen Elsa was visiting one of the small coastal ports on the fringe of her kingdom, Grømstad. She had sailed from the harbor at Arendelle town yesterday morning and arrived in time for lunch with the town officials. She planned to spend another night, then return home on the afternoon tide the next day.

Since her Coronation three months ago and the disastrous blizzard she had created with her magic power of ice and snow, Elsa traveled throughout her realm to visit as many of the towns and hamlets as she could. She wanted to connect with the people of her kingdom and prove to her own satisfaction that they had recovered from the freak weather she had brought down on them in the middle of July.

Today had been a productive day. She had reviewed the current state of the town's economy, met with anyone of any prominence or responsibility, and would be dining with the mayor and other officials of the town this evening. After touring the rest of the town and meeting with most of the people in a general gathering tomorrow, she would travel back to Arendelle on the evening tide.

She was listening to the Mayor describe how the port had grown over the years when there was a stir at the edge of the group surrounding them. Elsa traveled with her Queen's Own Guard, plus there were some of the Town Watch along because of the prominent citizens meeting with her. Her guards recognized the man running up to them as one of the officers from the ship that had brought Elsa and her party to Grømstad. He was out of breath and gasping when he came to attention and saluted the Queen. "Your Majesty!"

Elsa looked at the Lieutenant with some concern; he was very upset about something. "Yes, Lieutenant? What is it?"

He took a deep breath and said, "We have just received a message from Admiral Naismith, Your Majesty! A fast message sloop brought it from Arendelle town. The kingdom is under attack!"

"What?" exclaimed Eric Gunnarsson, Captain of Elsa's Guard. Elsa simply stared at the messenger. Who could be attacking them?

"The Admiral sent this packet, Your Majesty. It is to be opened by you alone. It seems that the Admiral wishes you to return to the ship, and we are to depart immediately and meet him at a point halfway back to Arendelle."

Elsa took the packet. It was in fact marked, "For the Queen's Eyes Only" and sealed with what she knew was the Admiral's command seal used for secret dispatches. She wondered what message he had sent her that was so sensitive that he did not want it to be communicated to her except in private. Her studies had taught her that secret messages rarely brought good news and she doubted that this one would be an exception.