Chapter ten-final chapter-worthy queen of greatness

Anna was trying to stifle a yawn; this council meeting had been going on since noon and she hadn't slept at all since yesterday. Throw in walking several miles in the dark, running back several miles leading a troop of Marines, then kicking the Weselton Commander in the head for threatening her sister, and it had been a long, busy day for Anna.

" ... our casualties were relatively light, although it is likely we will lose at least two more men from the severity of their wounds." Colonel Nordholm was wrapping up his report on the aftermath of the battle.

"Not light for the families..." Anna muttered. She was still struggling to cope with their loss of troops, no, real men ... men who had died defending her and her sister.

"I beg your pardon, Your Highness?" Nordholm asked.

"I said, our casualties were not light for the families of our men who died in this debacle," Anna raised her voice as she looked down the table at the Royal Council. "Is there anything else on your agenda that can't wait, Admiral?" Anna wanted to get back to her sister.

"No, Your Highness, everything is underway to repair any damage done by the battle, the attackers are under confinement at the Marine Barracks, and the task of returning the plunder they looted is well along," Naismith responded.

"Then this meeting is over. We'll reconvene the day after tomorrow at two o'clock. Thank you all," Anna dismissed them and hurried out of the room before they could rise and bow to her.

Nordholm and Naismith watched the council members leave; all except the Bishop. He shuffled papers until the others left, then looked up at his two colleagues with a small smile.

"There's some depth in that one," he commented.

"Just like her sister. Even though most people don't bother to look past the giddy exuberance," Naismith replied.

Nordholm chuckled, "You heard how she took charge of that troop of Marines, didn't you? Gunnarsson didn't know whether to spit or go blind when she sprang that on them. She was right, though. Legally AND tactically. That battle would have cost us a lot more if she hadn't led them back when she did."

Bishop Henrik Norgaard finished stuffing his papers into a portfolio and stood. "Possibly including the Queen. She was on her last dregs of strength when Anna ran up. Even if she had frozen that bastard, someone else probably would have killed her before you were able to force the gate." Norgaard wished he could use a stronger word to describe the Weselton boss, but he was a man of the cloth now, not the Marine he had been in his youth.

"How do you know that, Henrik? You weren't in the courtyard," Naismith asked.

"Sergeant Jorgensen told me. He's in the infirmary, hurt quite badly, but he'll recover. He was on the ground nearby when that Weselton dung pinned the Queen to the door, he knew it was the death of her. When she froze both of the swords, Jorgensen thought he was hallucinating." Norgaard related the entire story to his two colleagues as it had been told to him. They shook their heads in wonder.

"How is the Queen? I was too busy cleaning up the mess in the courtyard to get an update," asked Nordholm.

The three men walked down the hallway from the Council room. Nordgaard answered the colonel's question; he had been in the castle infirmary offering what comfort he could to the wounded and dying. "She will survive, but she'll be recovering for several weeks. That was a hell of an ordeal she put herself through, even before she was stabbed."

They emerged from the castle to the courtyard. Much of the debris and ruin from the battle had been cleaned up. The wounded had been moved to barracks, or to the castle infirmary. The dead had been taken to be prepared for funerals tomorrow. That's why there would be no council meeting. Arendelle would honor those who had sacrificed so much for their homeland.