Treble's Tour Bus :: Ch. 14

Porter claims he has a plan but instead of sharing this ingenious plan with us, he stalks off with determined purpose toward a side alley of the club. The patrol seems a little lighter where he disappears into the shadows, I move to follow but Zackary pulls up short.

"You follow him, I'll keep watch from here."

I glance around, but nobody is looking at us. Eyes are turned toward the news crews pulling in to film the damage and probably get a few interviews. "I don't think it's really smart to separate."

"It will be fine. Go look for your friend and I'll signal a warning to you two if there's trouble."

I narrow my eyes at him, "You sure you've never done this before, Robin?"

He just laughs at the nickname. "I make the best dang Robin side-kick there ever was. And I never give away my deepest secrets."

With one more scan across the parking lot to ensure no one is watching, I rounded the corner and was swallowed by darkness. "Porter?" I shout-whispered. No answer was given. Where the heck did he go? I could barely make out the hand in front of me, let alone know if I was alone in the creepy alley. "Hello?" My voice is shaking but comes out a bit louder.

Still, no reply comes. "So much for not letting me out of your sight, Oh-Mighty-Protector." Slowly, I start to nudge my feet forward, one baby step at a time. I turn my phone light on but it doesn't do justice to help my eyesight. Gently my fingertips trail along the building, the rough brick gives me some semblance of direction. What feels like ages, but must be only moments later; I feel the cool smooth texture of metal. Shining the light on the new find, a ladder leads up the building, to the roof. "Eh, why not?" I mutter as I start up the ladder. I barely make it up two rungs of the ladder before I'm hauled back into a firm chest, a chest I've begun to recognize by default.

I elbow him in the stomach to get him off me. He releases me with a grunt, "Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"You disappeared. I was trying to find you, so we could find Paisley, remember?

"I was looking for another way in, and the roof wasn't going to get you anywhere but, knowing your clumsiness, your deathbed."

"Hey! I am not clumsy." Unfortunately, the moment I say it, my foot trips against something and I must desperately cling onto Porter before I eat dirt. His shoulders shake with silent laughter and I release him to hopefully restore some of my dignity. "Not one word."

"No need, you proved my point brilliantly. This way, Sunshine."

Porter grabs my hand and leads me deeper into the alleyway, "There's a window back here that I was able to open."

"How did you manage that?"

"I threw a rock through it."

I roll my eyes at his back for nonchalance attitude. "Really subtle, dude."

We head deeper into the alleyway and the 'open window' is higher up than I expected. Jagged pieces of glass line the pane and I wonder how we will manage not to cut ourselves. Porter pulls his shirt over his head and wraps it around one fist. Even through the darkness, I can make out his well-earned muscle definition and tone. Warmth spreads across my face, so I quickly turn away.

Focus, Sadie! Clearing my throat, I manage to sputter, "What's the plan?"

"The plan, is for you to stay hidden down here while I go scope out the club."