Girlfriend? :: Ch. 4

Paisley Picture>^>^>^>^>^

© All rights reserved. 2014. LizzieMarie1313.

"What?" Lola screeches at the same time I ask the same question with more monotony. I pull away from Zackary's arm and look for an escape. The last thing I need or want is to ruin my chance at a fresh start with a new archenemy.

Porter seems to be trying to hold back laughter as he grabs his book bag out of the tuck bed of his beast. I plead through my eyes for him to help, but instead of aiding me he leans against his truck and crosses his arms over his chest to watch the show. Great, he is going to be absolutely no help.

"That's not exactly..." I start but Lola interrupts me mid-sentence.

Lola eyes me up and down and wrinkles her nose in distaste. "I've never seen her before, does she even go here?"

"Standing right here." But neither Lola nor Zackary acknowledges me.

"Lola, this is Sadie; Sadie meet Lola. It's her first day."

"You know I think we have had a terrible misunderstanding." If I can intercept and diffuse the situation before it spirals out of control, then maybe I can salvage this year. When I suggested Zackary get a new girlfriend to thwart Lola's attention, I had no intentions of taking up the position.

"You're cheating on me with this... this... hoe-bag?"

Hoe-bag? Name-calling is a little unnecessary, considering I've known this girl a total of five seconds. "Excuse me?" Finally, Lola turns and addresses me instead of Zackary.

"You heard me. You think you can just come in here and steal people's boyfriends?"

"I didn't steal anyone's boyfriend." I growl. They eyes of all the surrounding students fall on our group and my horrible predicament. Zackary, perhaps realizing my discomfort in this, begins to plead to me through his wonderful interpretation of puppy dog eyes. My eye's dart back to Porter and he discretely shakes his head back and forth. I'm about to follow his lead and deny Zackary's pleads but suddenly his lip juts out in a pout and I waver.

Narrowing my eyes and straightening my posture, I make my choice. "Yup, Zackey-Poo, here and I go way back, actually. He finally confessed his love for me and who am I to deny such a loyal and trust-worthy guy the pleasure of my company."

The words leave my mouth and there is no going back. In the background I hear Porter slam his truck door shut and walk off, but being in a stare off with Lola doesn't give me the pleasantries to see what pissed him off. Lola isn't someone I would want to be friends with even if she wasn't determined to become my enemy.

"Well, bless your heart." The statement confuses me but by the contortion of her face, I don't mistake it for being friendly.

"You think you've won, when really we've only just begun." With that, Lola turns and stomps off and I notice a group of girls in the background waiting for her. The gaggling girls don't appear happy and their displeasure is pointed towards me.

"That. Was. Awesome!" Zackary picks me up around the waist and spins us in quick circles making a giggle escape even though I am trying to be mad at him for putting me in this situation.

"And now I have a fleet of angry teenage groupies coming after me and I haven't even gotten my schedule for my first day yet."

"Are you insinuating I have groupies?" He picks up my forgotten backpack by my feet and starts dragging me off towards the entrance to the school.

"Is that the only thing you got out of that sentence?"

"Come on, Girlfriend," Zackary begins while waggling his eyebrows, "I'll show you the way to the office. Not that it's hard, located right up front. But that's my role as a dutiful boyfriend, eh?" I roll my eyes at his joke but let him lead the way.