20

Gem Anderson
Chapter 20| "Who is George?"

🗓Plan#20🗓
Play soundtrack above

I WAKE UP LIKE I'M HOOKED UP TO the mains

I WAKE UP LIKE I'M HOOKED UP TO the mains. No sleepiness, no slow warming up. Within seconds of realizing I was unconscious I am on my feet, eyes wide, dreams not just forgotten but erased. I am drinking in the feedback of all my senses. Aside from my own noisy breath there is nothing to be heard and outside was simply too dark to see much at all.

As soon as my barefoot crosses the threshold I know my mother was up by the smell of the delicious bacon. It's five o'clock in the morning and my mother had only just rolled out of bed after her big night out.

I can hear the rashers sizzle and spit under the grill, so I sling my paints and canvass into my studio more carelessly than I should and scamper down to beg for some, my mother could never refuse her only child.

If my mom is doing the cooking it will be perfectly crisp as good Canadian bacon should be, I can already taste it layered generously between two slices of a white bloomer from the bakers.

But when I round the corner the smile is wiped from my face. She wasn't alone. Two strange people sit around the breakfast table dressed up like they're all set to go to a business meeting, only they have no briefcases in their arms they look like the smallest sounds would make their heads explode.

I could run and hide but no, this is my home. So I put the smile back on my face and greet them all, very loudly.

"Hello, sweetheart I'm Blaire," A tall petite woman said to me holding out her hand. Her hair was midnight-black and it flowed over her shoulders. "Good Morning, I'm Gem," I greeted her wanting to be polite. My mother glare between us making me raise an eyebrow.

My eyes then glanced towards the mysterious man before me. Small pug nose. Full pink lips. Pretty light brown eyes. Lightskin. Small almond shaped eyes. Black thick eyelashes. My mother caught me staring at the man and she sighed. "Why don't we have breakfast?" She announced and I sat down next to the mysterious man.

"Oh, Gem I heard that you scored an A in Chemistry," Pretty brown eyes said to me and I nodded. My mother glare remained on him and I raised an eyebrow. What am I not getting here? Why is this man here?

"Not to be rude or nothing, but who are you?" I asked pointing towards the man. My mother eyes bulge as the man looked back at her nodding his head. "Sweetheart this is George," My mother answered. I still had a confused look on my face. Why is she sugarcoating her words?