Stiles Stilinski - Ill Stay

"What's up, Parrish?" Stiles asked, giving the front desk a friendly slap as he sauntered past it.
"Stiles, your dad's in the middle of something right now," Parrish greeted him. "He said you could wait out here and not to go in his office."
Stiles paused and pivoted on his heel, looking back at Parrish. The Deputy was typing away at his computer, his green eyes no longer focused on the younger boy, and he frowned.
He leaned down and grabbed the screen, causing Parrish to raise his eyebrows at him. "Stiles, can I help you?"
"What kind of something?"
Parrish fixed him with a look that told Stiles he knew exactly what he was trying to do. "Something."
Stiles tilted his head and feigned a wounded look. "So this is how it's gonna be."
"You know you don't actually work here, right?"
"Oh, that's funny," Stiles told him, scratching his chin. "That's funny, considering me and Scott solve most of the cases that come through here."
Parrish stared at him, obviously unimpressed. "Stiles, sit down."
Stiles sighed, dramatic and loud, and stalked over to sit in one of the chairs across from the front desk. "Fine."
No sooner had he dropped down than the door to his dad's office opened, and he jumped up from his seat.
"Dad!"
The Sheriff, who had been rubbing his head in his hands a second before, looked up. "Hey kid, I'm sorry about dinner. We've just got a lot going on right now."
"Anything I can help with?" Stiles asked him.
Stilinski hesitated like he was considering it, but then said, "No."
It was a split second of hesitation, but Stiles still caught it.
"Dad, come on," he pleaded. "Is it something supernatural?"
"Keep your voice down," his father hissed, pulling him closer. "Stiles, this doesn't involve you."
"But if I can help-"
His dad brought a hand to the back of his head, causing him to yelp. "Stiles, I said no."
Stiles huffed. "Fine. Will you at least tell me if Scott can help?"
Stilinski pursed his lips. "Possibly. But she's not talking right now, alright?"
"She?" Stiles asked, his interest piquing even more.
His dad glared at him, and looked toward the closed office door, but then he sighed.
"Clark responded to a call Downtown about an hour ago. A woman walking her dog heard a girl screaming from an abandoned house. Clark called out, heard someone running away, and when she finally got inside, she found a girl, lying on the ground. She was bloodied up and hurt, but when Clark tried to help her, she started to heal, and her eyes turned yellow."
Stiles swallowed. "Is she okay?"
"She's mostly healed," the Sheriff told him quietly. "But she won't say a word."
"What?" Stiles asked. "Let me talk to her."
"No," his father told him firmly. "Absolutely not."
"Then at least let me call Scott!"
"I'll call Scott," the Sheriff said. "For now, for the love of God, Stiles, just sit down."
Stiles bit the inside of his cheek, glancing back at the office. "Fine. Fine, just call Scott."
His father shot one last warning look at him before turning down the hall, and walking into an empty office to make the call. The minute he disappeared, Stiles glanced around the station carefully.
Parrish was still at his computer, typing away, and Clark was writing up a statement in the corner. The station was buzzing with officers refilling coffee or filling out paperwork, and no one seemed to take much notice of Stiles.
He slowly headed toward his dad's office, shot one glance behind him to make sure no one was looking, and then slipped open the door.
He ducked inside, quickly shutting the door and nearly tripping on his own feet. He let out a relieved breath, and he heard a soft, weak laugh from behind him.
You probably wouldn't have made a sound, if it hadn't been for the way the boy had stumbled into the room. He was tall, brown-haired and seemed to have no grace or balance whatsoever.
Despite the terrible past couple of weeks and everything you had endured, you were relieved that you were still able to laugh about something. Then the guy whirled around at the sound, and you flinched back in your chair.
The Sheriff had left you there a few minutes ago, after he had given up trying to coax anything out of you. He seemed nice, but all anyone had done for weeks was press you for information, and even though you were safe now, you weren't too keen on opening your mouth.
"Uh, hey," the guy said. "Are you feeling okay?"
You didn't answer, eyeing him carefully. He was wearing jeans and a tshirt, and from that display earlier, you knew he definitely wasn't a cop.
"Okay," he said slowly. "Well, uh, I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to be afraid or anything. My dad-he's the guy who just left-is just trying to help. He knows about everything. You know, the werewolves, and the hunters and stuff. So you don't need to be scared."
You were still just staring at him, and he scratched the back of his neck. "I've also got this friend. His name's Scott, and he's an alpha-"
"No!" you yelled suddenly, tensing up.
"Wh-what?" Stiles choked, glancing over his shoulder in case anyone had heard you.
"No alpha!" you commanded. "I don't want an alpha!"
"Okay, okay!" he whispered loudly. "Relax, I'll just tell him to leave when he gets here."
You eyed him suspiciously. "You will?"
"I will," he told you. "I promise. But everyone out there...they're really worried about you."
You looked at him like you didn't believe him, but Stiles kept talking. "The deputy who found you, Clark, she's really concerned. She was hellbent on taking you to the hospital."
"I don't need a hospital," you whispered, looking down at the wounds that had disappeared ages ago.
You picked at your blood-stained jeans and tried to avoid his eyes. They were sharp and curious, and you didn't have the urge to be questioned and dissected like you were some sort of science project.
"I know that," he continued. "And so does my dad. That's why he told her no when she radioed in, but she's still really worried."
"She was nice," you told him softly. "Tell her thank you?"
"You can tell her yourself if you want to," Stiles told you gently.
Your frown deepened, and you shook your head. Stiles' brow furrowed. "Is there a reason you're not really talking? Are you afraid of someone?"
You shrugged, and he sighed and sat down on the couch across from you. He patted the spot next to him, and you raised your eyebrows at him.
"What?" he asked. "It's more comfortable over here, just FYI. I can even switch with you if you want."
You shook your head, and the boy simply shrugged and leaned back into the cushions."I'm Stiles by the way."
"Stiles?" you questioned.
He nodded. "Weird name, I know. But this is a pretty weird town."
You nodded in agreement, and wrapped your arms around your knees. You were content to sit in silence, but Stiles let out a heavy breath. "God, I'm starving. Are you hungry?"
You shook your head again, but just as you did, your stomach growled in contradiction. Stiles raised his eyebrows. "I can get you something to eat if you want."
You shook your head vigorously this time. You didn't want him going out of his way for you. You didn't even know him.
"What's your name then?" he asked.
You glanced up, and he pursed his lips. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."
You swallowed. "It's Y/n. My name is Y/n."
Stiles smiled, his lips twitching at the corners, and it occurred to you that you wouldn't mind seeing it more often. "Pretty. Your name, I mean, not you. I mean, it's not that you're not pretty or anything. That's not what I meant. You're definitely pretty. Gorgeous, really, but, uh-"
You cut him off with another soft laugh. Your voice was hoarse and weak from screaming, but he could detect a hint of happiness in it. "I knew what you meant."
"Oh," Stiles said, his cheeks going red. "Right."
"Your friend," you whispered cautiously. "The alpha...what's he like?"
"Pssh," Stiles remarked. "He's a dork, but he's a good guy. Sometimes too good of a guy, but he's strong too. He's been through a lot. He's done a lot for me...for this town."
"Is he like you?"
"Do you mean ruggedly good-looking and charming?"
"No," you told him plainly.
"You know, I think I liked you better when you didn't talk," he told you playfully.
You laughed and Stiles smiled. "You have a nice laugh."
You blushed and leaned back in your chair, curling in on yourself. "I was just kidding before, you know. I like it when you talk."
"I think you talk enough for the both of us," you told him.
Stiles laughed once more. He had an infectious laugh, and soon you were giggling too. For the first time, it occurred to you that there was too much space between you and Stiles. You wanted to be close to him, to this boy who made you feel safe, even when a room full of police officers couldn't.
That was when the door opened, and you flinched back as you saw the Sheriff walk in. He took one look at Stiles, and he swore he saw smoke coming out of his dad's ears.
"Stiles," he growled, grabbing him by his shirt and hauling him up.
"Wait, no dad-" he protested, but he was already being shoved out the door.
His dad slammed it in his face, and he was left standing there in the hall, with the eyes of the whole station on him. He sniffed, shifting at the pressure of the stares. "What are you looking at?"
Back in the office, you looked down at the floor.
"I'm sorry about that," the Sheriff apologized to you. "My son is harmless, but he likes to stick his nose in things."
You shook your head, not meeting his eyes. "He's a good person."
The Sheriff blinked, wide-eyed, and nearly dropped the mug of coffee he was holding. These were the first words he had heard you speak.
"He is," he told you, his voice softening. "Did he talk to you?"
You smiled. "A lot."
The Sheriff smiled, and slid down onto the sofa that Stiles had vacated. "He does that. Can't get him to stop sometimes."
You nodded, and the Sheriff sighed. "So, you wouldn't happen to have anything to say to me would you?"
You shifted in your seat. "Stiles."
The Sheriff blinked. "Sorry?"
"Stiles," you repeated. "Please?"
His brow furrowed, fixing you with that same inquisitive look that Stiles had. He looks like his dad, you thought.
"Let me get this straight," the Sheriff began. "You want my son in here? Are you sure?"
He was met with a vigorous nod, and then he slowly stood up and set his mug of coffee on his desk. "All right, but you asked for it."
He walked over to the door of his office and pulled it open, only to have Stiles flop through the doorway and right onto his feet. The Sheriff glared at his son, who had obviously just had his ear pressed up against the door.
"H-hey, dad. Hey, Y/n. You two have a good talk?"
The Sheriff frowned. "Sometimes I think you're more trouble than you're worth."
"I'm cute though, right?" He asked hopefully. "Dad? Right?"
The Sheriff shot him a look. "Sit down, Stiles. If Y/n's more comfortable with you in here, you can stay, but you're going to be quiet."
"Got it," he told him, nodding rapidly.
He flopped down onto the couch and shot you a wink, as if the two of you were sharing some sort of inside joke. His father looked between the two of you, his brows furrowing, and then he held out his hand.
"You can sit on the couch if you want. It's probably more comfortable than that chair."
You nodded and looked over at Stiles, searching for confirmation. He shrugged and patted the seat beside him, and you quickly unwrapped your arms from around your knees.
Stiles smiled encouragingly as you sat down beside him, and the Sheriff took the chair you had abandoned. He pulled it a little closer, causing the legs to scrape against the floor, and you flinched.
"Alright," he told you, sliding behind his desk. "Y/n, do you have a last name?"
You swallowed nervously and remained silent.
"You look pretty young," he continued. "Is there anyone we can call? Parents, family maybe?"
You shook your head softly. They wouldn't come if he called, so you didn't see a point.
"Do you have a pack?" He asked. "Maybe an alpha who's missing you?"
"No," you told him firmly, your eye wild and terrified. "Not my alpha. He wasn't...he wasn't like Stiles' friend."
Stiles blinked, suddenly realizing why you had reacted the way you did when he brought it up earlier. Not every alpha was like Scott. Peter had been a prime example of that, and whatever you were running from, Stiles guessed your alpha was a part of it.
"I understand," the Sheriff told you. "Are you sure there's no one we can call?"
You thought for a moment, and felt tears pricking at your eyes. "No. I don't...I don't really have anyone."
The Sheriff gave you a single, firm nod. " Is there someone you were staying with? Someone in Beacon Hills?"
"No," you whispered. "I...I ran from Sacramento. I don't know anyone here."
"You ran?" Stiles questioned, his eyes going wide. "Like, literally ran?"
"Stiles," the Sheriff chided, shooting a sharp glare at his son. "Is that true, Y/n?
You came here on foot?"
You nodded. "Mostly. I took a bus when I got to Redding. I ended up here."
"Why Beacon Hills?"
You shrugged. "I don't know. I...I couldn't go on foot anymore, so I spent what I had left on a bus ticket. I didn't have a lot of time, though, so I just picked the first place I saw on the board."
"Beacon Hills."
"Yeah," you said softly. "But they found me anyway."
"Who?"
"Hunters. Two of them. I don't know how they found me, but I think they were
watching my alpha. And when I tried to run from him...I guess they saw me as an easy target."
"You were running from your alpha?" the Sheriff asked.
You closed your eyes and nodded, trying to fight the nausea building in your stomach at the thought of him. You remembered the blood, and the pain of the bite, and the things he had done to you that were much worse.
Your family hadn't understood. They screamed when you tried to show them what was happening, and after that, you knew there was no way you could go to anyone else you knew. After they tossed you out on the street, you hadn't seen paying a visit to your alpha as an option, and it dawned on you that you didn't really have any other choice.
Going to him had been a mistake, not only because he tried to hurt you, but when you ran, you caught the attention of someone just as deadly. You managed to escape the hunter and his buddy on foot, and you were running for a week before you finally hopped on that bus to Beacon Hills.
What you didn't realize was that you hadn't totally lost them, and the minute you stepped off the bus, they were waiting for you at the station.
"Is he still after you?" Stiles' father asked, pulling you from your thoughts.
"No," you said, thinking back to your alpha. "I don't think he cares enough."
"And these hunters?"
"I'm not sure," you admitted. "They looked young, and they seemed like they didn't really know what they were doing."
Stiles scoffed. "They knew enough to torture you."
Stilinski shot a glare at his son, and you cast your eyes to the floor. When you looked back up, Stiles was staring at you with a grimace on his face. 'Sorry,' he mouthed.
"I don't know if they're coming back," you whispered softly. "If they do..."
"We'll be right here," Stiles swore, and for once, his father didn't scold him. "My friend Scott...he's not going to let anything happen to you. And neither will I."
You looked over at the Sheriff questioningly, but he flashed you an encouraging smile. "He's right, Y/n."
"But you don't even know me," you pointed out softly.
The Sheriff shook his head. "Doesn't mean a thing. We're here to protect you. If these men come back for you, they'll have to go through us."
You stared at them in disbelief, unable to comprehend how a pair of strangers who had known you for less than an hour were prepared to protect you, even when your own family had tossed you out. The words came out broken and thick, but you felt the need to say them anyway, and you just barely managed to get out the "Thank you." without bursting into tears.
You put your head in your hands as they started to stream down your face, and Stiles reached out to place a comforting hand on your back.
"Don't worry, Y/n," you heard the Sheriff say. "We'll find an officer for you to stay with tonight. Maybe Parrish-"
"She can stay with us."
You picked your head up, glancing over at Stiles in surprise.
"What?" he asked, his gaze moving from your shocked face, to his dad's. "It's not like we don't have a couch, and she's already comfortable around us...you're comfortable, right?"
You nodded slowly, carefully peeking over at the Sheriff's face. It was scrunched in thought, but he didn't seem to be shooting the idea down right away.
"See?" Stiles continued. "If she wants to stay, can she?"
"Stiles-"
"Do you want to?" he blurted. "You wouldn't have your own room, but the couch is soft. Or you could take my bed, and Scott could come over and meet you if you're okay with it, and you wouldn't have to worry about-"
"Yes," you blurted, cutting off his rambling. "If...if it's okay..."
The Sheriff sighed. "Well, we've had much worse in that house, and I can't think of a reason not to...but it might only be temporary. I don't want to disappoint you, Y/n."
You shook your head, a soft, sad smile curling at your lips. "It'll take a lot more than that to disappoint me, Sheriff."
He nodded. "Well, guess I can't say no to that."
You let out a shocked breath, because there was still some part of you that wasn't able to believe a complete stranger would ever show you this much kindness. "Thank you."
Your voice was tight and thick, and you sounded a bit like you had swallowed a bug, but you still wanted to tell them. The Sheriff and Stiles had no idea how your own family had thrown you out when they realized what you were. They had only heard bits and pieces of your story, and they didn't even know who you were, yet they were offering to take you in.
"You might as well grab your things," he told you, gesturing to your backpack on the floor. "I've got some paperwork to fill out here, but Stiles can take you home."
Home. The word resonated through you, making your chest ache. You took a breath to steady yourself and walked over to grab your bag, which was resting close to Stiles' feet. As you reached down to grab it, he held out a hand to stop you.
"I got it," he assured you, scooping it up with one arm.
"I can carry it," you said quietly, but he only waved you off.
"It's one bag. Besides, I'm not that much of a wimp. All this running for my life has really gotten me into shape."
You bit your lip to keep from smiling, and clasped your hands together.
"You ready to go?" Stiles asked.
You nodded, and took a few steps closer to the Sheriff. "Thank you for this. Thank
you so much."
He blinked in shock as you wound your arms around his middle, but he quickly recovered and gave you a tight squeeze back. "Don't worry, Y/n. You're safe with Stiles."
You nodded and pulled away, and followed Stiles toward the door of the office. Your stomach rumbled just Stiles opened it up, and just as Stilinski called out to him.
"Make up the couch for her, alright?"
"Got it, dad!"
"And Stiles?"
"Yeah?"
"Please get this girl something to eat."
"Of course," he told him, turning around to shoot a look at his father. "I'm not a
heathen."
You laughed to yourself as Stiles led you out, and several officers looked up from what they were doing and stared. You froze at the pressure of their eyes on you, and wished more than anything they would go back to their paperwork.
Your clothes were still ripped and covered in blood, and you must have looked like hell with your lack of sleep and wild eyes. At first, your only sense of comfort was the smile Officer Clark offered you. She was the only one not staring at you like you were some kind of headcase, at least until you felt someone slip their hand into yours.
You glanced over to find Stiles smiling down at you, encouragement on his face. He was looking at you like he thought you might bolt, but he had no reason to be worried. With his hand in yours, you never would have thought of running.
You squeezed his fingers, set your shoulders, and started to walk toward the door again. A proud grin crossed Stiles' face, and to your surprise, he didn't let go of your hand.
"So," he said simply. "You up for some chicken nuggets?"
Stiles rolled over in the darkness, listening to the soft drumming of rain against the roof. Every so often, lightning would flash through the room, illuminating the greyish-blue walls, and shortly after, thunder would rumble throughout the house.
The skies seemed to be going to war outside, and no matter how deep he burrowed into his covers, Stiles couldn't seem to drown out the noise enough to sleep. He knew you must have been having trouble too, considering you had the hearing of a bat, and he finally gave up on tuning out the storm and shoved his covers off.
He hopped out of bed and headed down the hall to your room, which had been converted from the Sheriff's home office a couple weeks ago. Originally his dad had only promised your stay to be a temporary thing, but as you got to know each other, he had a change of heart.
You started going to school with Stiles and his friends only a few weeks ago, but you had already grown to love Scott and Lydia, and Malia seemed to be permanently attached to your side. You were still shy, and Malia had no problem with promising to break the legs of anyone who even considered messing with you.
She was brash and wild, and everything you weren't, but she was quickly turning into your best friend.
Stiles was proud that you were already fitting in so well, even though you were still dealing with a lot. The nightmares had started the first night you were there, and you often woke Stiles and the Sheriff (when he was home) in the middle of the night.
You apologized profusely, and you were usually glad for the Sheriff's frequent night shifts, because that was one less person you were bothering. Stiles told you all the time they didn't see it like that, but it was still hard not to feel insecure.
Stiles was doing everything he could to make you feel welcome, but as he headed down the hall he worried that it might not be enough. Another wave of thunder cracked through the sky, but underneath the rumbling, he could hear something else.
They were quiet and soft, but Stiles recognized the sound of sobs coming from your room. His heart sped up and he immediately darted forward, yanking open your door just as thunder crashed again.
As he entered your room, you jumped, and he couldn't tell if it was him or the thunder that had startled you. He looked closer and realized you were shaking, and huddled next to your bed on the floor.
Your arms were wrapped around your sides, and when Stiles met your eyes you had the same look that he had seen in them when he first met you; wild and terrified.
He breathed your name, and the sound of it coming off of his lips washed over you like a wave. You reached for him in the darkness, your outstretched fingers illuminated by the lightning.
Stiles instantly dropped to his knees and wrapped his arms around you, pulling you against his chest.
"Shh," he murmured, over and over in your ear.
"It's so loud," you whispered, still trembling against him. "I-I can practically feel it."
You had only been a werewolf for a little over a month, and you were still struggling with all the physical changes. Loud noises particularly bothered you, and Stiles could have kicked himself for not coming to check on you sooner.
"We can call Scott," he offered softly.
"No," you whispered hoarsely. "Please just-just stay?"
"I'll stay," he promised, running his hand over your hair. "I'll stay."
You burrowed into him, knowing that your tears were staining his t-shirt, but he didn't seem to care. He simply held you there and murmured to you through the storm, promising you that everything would work out.
When it was finally over, it was well into the early morning, and Stiles' shirt was soaked through with your tears. You peeled yourself away from him, and wiped your wet cheeks.
"You alright?" He asked softly
You nodded, but your face was red from tears and shame. Stiles noticed you weren't meeting his eyes, and he eventually crawled across the carpet to rest by your side.
"You know I totally get this, right?"
You frowned, and wrapped your arms around your knees. "I can't even make it through a storm without breaking down into a sobbing mess, Stiles."
Stiles shrugged, his shoulder bumping against yours. "It's a werewolf thing. I've seen worse."
"Oh yeah?" You challenged. "Like what?"
"Well, Scott almost put a hole in his wall with my face once on a full moon. And then I had to handcuff him to a radiator..."
"Handcuff him?" You asked. "Did that even work?"
"Nope," he told you. "He got out, so trust me, this isn't that bad."
"Huh. I guess not."
"You must be exhausted," he noticed. "Did you get any sleep at all?"
You shook your head, and he sighed, rising to his feet. You followed him and sat down on your bed, but instead of leaving, he just stood there.
"Stiles?"
"Yeah?"
"Is there something else you wanted to say?"
"What? Oh, uh...no. No, I guess not."
He scratched his neck and looked toward the door, and then back to you. You tilted your head.
"Stiles...do you wanna sleep in here tonight?"
"It'd make me feel better if I did."
"Why?" You asked quietly.
"Just in case you need me."
You felt a warm, cozy feeling spread over you, and your lips turned up ever so slightly.
"It'd make me feel better too."
Stiles nodded eagerly, and as you shimmied under your covers, he followed you into bed. He stayed respectively on his side, but he rolled over to look at you as you settled in.
Eventually, you decided you didn't like the space between the two of you, and you scooted closer. Stiles didn't like it anymore than you did, and he followed suit until he was only a few inches away.
"Stiles?" You whispered. "Can you hold me again?"
A weak noise came from the back of his throat, but he quickly reached out to wrap his arms around you once more. You snuggled into him and closed your eyes, soaking in his warmth.
He reached out tentatively to stroke your hair, and you sighed against his chest. His eyes closed soon after yours, but he remained awake for a few extra moments, listening to your breathing slow down.
When he finally fell asleep, he did it with you still nestled in his arms, and a smile on his face. It had been only a few weeks since you had turned up in the station, but Stiles felt like you had been there for much longer. You said once that you there was no real reason you had ended up in Beacon Hills, that you had just hopped on the first but you saw, but he didn't entirely believe that.
There was some reason you ended up here, that you had ended up with him. He was sure of it, and if was being honest, he didn't care what it was. All that mattered to him was that you were here, and whether it was god, or nature, or the universe that did it, he thanked them for whatever had brought you to Beacon Hills.