Chapter 4

Jane's POV

I walked into the autopsy room and saw a woman with dark brown hair, about Maura's size, leaning over my victim.

"Excuse me, have you seen Dr. Isles?" I asked her.

She turned around.

Wow. Sexy.

"Wha-Maura?!"

She smiled at me. "Do you like it?"

Like it? I love it.

"Yes, it's very nice. Why'd you dye your hair?"

"I just think it's time for me to move on. Like you have. New hair, new job, new city." Maura shrugged.

"Wait, what? New city? New job?"

"Yes. I was offered a position as the LAPD medical examiner. I've decided to take it."

"No!" I said.

"No?"

She looked at me, puzzled.

"I mean, you can't leave Em and Zoey. They can't live without you."

"They don't have to. Tony, Emily, and Zoey are coming with me."

"Well, what about...Rob...?" I asked.

"After this year, he can't be elected as governor anymore. He'll be following us to Los Angeles at the end of his term."

"Well...what about...me?"

"What about you, Jane? Aren't you going to San Diego?"

"H-How'd you know?" I stuttered.

"I know everything." She responded with a wink.

"So you know that I might not go?" I asked.

"Yes, but I know you will. I know you better than anyone."

She's right, Rizzoli.

"You're going to Los Angeles. I'm going to San Diego. We're going our separate ways, Maura. At least we will still be in the same state."

"We'll always be together, Jane. Even if we're miles and miles from one another. We bring out the best in each other. We can't live our lives without one another in them. We're still best friends. You're still my badass detective." Maura said with a smile.

"And you're still my Dr. Smarty-pants."

She laughed and I wrapped my arms around her. She reciprocated the gesture.

Melissa walked in and froze when she saw me hugging a brunette woman.

"Um?"

"Oh, Jane and I were just saying goodbye. Today is my last day. Los Angeles Police Department offered me a job as their forensic pathologist." Maura stated.

"Oh, I love your hair!" Melissa said.

"Thank you!" She turned to face me again. "I'll see you around, okay?"

She went to her office and packed up her things and shut the light off. She closed the door behind her. She brushed her hand over the name plaque on the wall beside the door.

Dr. Maura Isles-Rizzoli.

She asked a passing maintenance man to take it off the wall and she walked out with it in her hand.

Dr. Maura Isles-Rizzoli.

No. She's back to being Dr. Maura Isles. Maybe one day she'll be Dr. Maura Isles-Chaplain. Maybe not. Maybe she won't settle down with Rob. She'll always be a Rizzoli, to me. She'll always be Dr. Maura Isles-Rizzoli."