Chapter 9

A/N: Sorry for any mistakes! Happy reading!

I woke to sunlight shining through my bedroom window. I opened my eyes a bit, but closed them just as fast.

"Ow. My head hurts. It hurts, It hurts, it hurts." I said out loud.

I rolled over so that my back was to the window. I opened my eyes again and saw a note on the bedside table.

Maura,

I went for a run. I need to think about some things. I'll be back soon. I left some aspirin and a glass of water on the counter downstairs. You'll probably have a wicked hangover, from the amount of tequila you consumed. Don't take the aspirin on an empty stomach.

Love,
Jane

God, this woman.

I got out of bed- a little to quickly- and almost immediately fell over.

"Whoa there, Doc. First day on your new feet?" Jane said as she caught me.

"I thought you were going for a run?" I asked.

"I did...two hours ago. I'm back now. When I came back in and saw that you hadn't taken the aspirin yet, I wanted to come check on you. Do you remember how worried I was when you got really sick a few years ago? I worry about what might happen to you all the time."

"Don't worry so much, Jane."

"It's my job to worry."

I glared at her and we walked downstairs to the living room.

Her phone started ringing and she put it up to her ear.

"Hey, Mel...Yeah, I know, I know."

Jane looked at me and winked.

I felt myself blush.

"Look, she needed me. I wasn't just going to sit at home while my best friend destroyed her liver with tequila...No! I'm not going to apologize for being there for her! God, Melissa, because I love her! She was my partner for six years, my best friend for two years before that, so no, I won't apologize for leaving San Diego in the middle of the night."

Jane sighed and hung her head.

"Yeah Melissa. I'll head back tonight. Love you too."

Jane ended the call and threw her phone against the wall. It shattered. Glass was all over my living room floor.

"I'll clean that up." She said.

"No, I'll get it...just sit down."

"Maura, you have a hangover-"

"Jane!" I cut her off. "I have a headache, that doesn't mean I can't do things for myself. I will clean up the shattered pieces of glass, you sit there and calm down. Obviously, your girlfriend doesn't like me very much and it frustrates you."

"Of course it frustrates me! You and Melissa are two of the four most important people to me. She needs to like you!"

"You can't expect your girlfriend to like your ex-wife. And you can't expect your Ex-wife to like your girlfriend." I said bending down to pick up pieces of Jane's phone.