FOUR

October 20, 2015

October 20, 2015. Tuesday. 08:43 am.
• • •

My mother's voice still rang in my ears as I sat down in my seat, trying to not stare at Clark.

"Oh, sweetie, Clark Kent is Martha's son. He's the one I set you on the date with,"

He was scribbling notes down onto his notepad and squinting at his computer screen. He slipped his pencil between his lips, his teeth crunching down on the wood. I noticed how his lips puckered around the pen perfectly. His glasses were bright as his eyes skimmed whatever he was reading.

Clark's fingers held his pen tightly as he scribbled word after word down, he was moving so quickly and I was mesmerized. I hadn't noticed he had stopped writing until he had spoken my name.

"Annie, are you alright?" He asked. His deep voice filled with concern and I ripped my eyes away from his fingers to see his blue eyes and dark furrowed brows.

"Yeah," I choked out and acted like I was typing. My screen was blank. It's no biggie, I was just got caught ogling my coworker, and he seemed not even to realize it. I sneak another peek at Clark wondering if he knew I was supposed to be his date. How do any of my partners know I'm their date? I frowned, remembering that I meet most at my apartment when they pick me up.

Clark said his date had stood him up, so my mother had to have given Martha the address to the cafe. Hmm, maybe my mother told him what I was wearing? No, I had changed my outfit after I had shown her that I was going to wear my green dress. I stared at Clark and bit my lip absentmindedly-this was all so confusing.

The only way I was going to know was if I asked him myself, but that had to wait.

I sighed and got to work. Wednesday was fast approaching, and I needed to have all my questions ready. I knew Lois was going to go over them and make sure I ask the ones she wrote for me, but I'm going to have backups just in case I grow a backbone and decide to go against the almighty Lois. Not like that's going to happen.

I couldn't deny that I was attracted to Clark, have been since I started working here. I never really noticed just how much until last night. He was perfect. Clark was old fashioned and a gentleman in every way. I bet it had to do with him growing up on the Kent Farm and having slightly older parents than most.

I guess his mother was older than mine, she looked maybe ten years older, but still as pretty as ever. He was tall, so frickin' tall, broad-shouldered, seriously they're huge and built. It wasn't a 'hey look at me I know I look great' built, but more of an effortless built.

He was smart and kind and when he smiled and laughed it made my heart sputter. I bet he had all the girls he could want in High School if you got past his awkwardness, clumsiness, and nerdiness. I found that all attractive. He was a nerd so what? He was a hot nerd.

"Annie,"

My hand pulled out from under my chin so quickly I almost fell when I turned up to look at Jimmy. He smiled at me and laughed.

"Daydreaming?"

"No," I lied, "What's up?"

"Want to go with me to get shots of Superman?" He asked holding up his camera.

"Uh," I wasn't in the mood to go looking for a man in a spandex suit when I needed to talk to Clark. Jimmy caught on to my hesitation and poked out his bottom lip.

"Come on. It'll be fun. You're the only one who hasn't come on an adventure with me," He told me.

I studied his freckle splattered face and his red hair and smiled. He was a sweet kid.

"Fine, I'll go with you,"

• • •
October 20, Tuesday. 09:35 am.
• • •

Jimmy and I had arrived back in less than an hour. He was upset that he wasn't able to get any shots of Superman. Even made a joke saying he must be at his other job. Jimmy apologized for it not being the excitement he had hoped for and went back to the photography branch.

I looked around the room and saw that Clark was sitting at his desk and the area was pretty scarce of listening ears. I took this as my opportunity to spill the beans about the 'date' last night. I watch him get up engrossed in a piece of paper as he heads to Perry's office. I flag him down as he passes me.

"Hey, Clark?"

"Yeah?"

"You do realize that we were each other's blind dates last night, right?" I say slowly trying to study his face as I break the news. I follow him with my eyes and wonder what he thinks as he leans his hand and hip against my desk.

"I knew that,"

"You knew? Why didn't you say anything?"

"I liked the way it was going and didn't think I had to tell you I was your blind date for it to be a date," He told me smoothly.

And I stared at him with wide eyes and a sloppy grin on my face.

"Sorry, that was a bit forward," Clark quickly said rubbing the back of his neck a slight blush creeping up his neck.

"Oh! No, it was fine. I wasn't expecting that you knew at all," I told him.

He smiled and pushed up his glasses, his bright eyes sparkled in the fluorescent light. In his button up and tight jeans, he was oozing sex appeal, and I eagerly wanted to see what was underneath all those layers.

"We should do it again sometime," Clark said coolly, his voice was deep and confident as he smiled down at me.

"Yeah, we should," I agreed.

Clark's small smile had grown so big, and I could only stifle a laugh as he walked away trying to look cool, but tripping on the corner of his desk when he went to sit down. He seemed to had forgotten that he was on his way to Perry's office and had stood up quickly.

"That was smooth, Clark," He muttered to himself as he passed me and I burst out laughing.

Clark is such a dork.

• • •

Don't forget to vote and leave a comment! I love reading them! ❤️