TEN

November 1st, 2015

November 1st, 2015. Sunday. 6:45 pm.
• • •

The party was large and bright; the walls painted a vibrant white all the way to the ceiling. Dozens if not hundreds of people gathered in the central area and their voices bounced off the walls loudly, almost making it hard to hear.

I smoothed out my black dress and squared my shoulders as I entered the party. Mr. Luthor didn't disappoint. I hadn't called Clark to tell him I'd be here, didn't have the time. I spent too long in the shower, trying to figure out what to wear, and if I really should go. In the end, the decision was easy, and as I made my way through the crowd, I hope Clark wouldn't be upset.

A man a few inches taller than me with shoulder-length light brown hair caught my eye and sauntered over to me, plucking a champagne glass off a tray.

"Ms. Westmore! It's so great to meet you finally," he placed his hand in mine and shook dramatically.

I smiled, "It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Luthor. I've seen you in all the tabloids,"

"And I you. Now, tell me how is it the girl who captured the heart of a man seemed to be made of steel?" He asked stepping closer to me.

"Oh, uh was that why I was invited?"

"Of course! You're the most talked about woman in the world! I wasn't going to squander the perfect moment in meeting you," He glanced around the room oblivious to the uncomfortable atmosphere between us, "How did you like my speech? How do you like my home?"

"Your speech?" I questioned, and he nodded expectantly at me, "Well it was very...disjointed, but I only caught the end of it,"

His eyes squinted slightly at me before clapping his hands together, "Must be the champagne," he boasted, his laugh and voice high with falsehood.

"And my home?"

"It's amazing. I love how bright and polished everything is," a nervous sweat broke out at the nape of my neck, and I hastily searched for a familiar face and saw a flash of red to my right, but suddenly Mr. Luthor gasped.

"I'd be damned," he muttered before almost skipping past me, I turned to see him bounding over to a conversation between Clark and Bruce Wayne of Wayne Enterprises.

"Boys!"

The moment Clark turned his head towards the loud host his eyes landed on me. I could see the shock and confusion flash before his eyes for just a moment, and Mr. Luthor must've noticed it too because he cast a glance back towards me with a smile I was not comforted by.